Beko washing machine motor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has a Beko washing machine 'WMC126W' of approx 4yrs

Today it tripped the circuit breaker, but since looking into the problem, the circuit breaker has not tripped since.

But the pump, door lock and front control panel functions are ok. The motor does not drive the drum to rotate. The drum attempts to move slightly in either direction and stops. Removed the belt, drum and motor are free. The motor when called for will move about 5mins each way as on a clock face, then spin up to speed and stop with no load/or belt fitted. Removed the brushes and both appear of a good length of 25mm plus and the com shows no signs of burning or arcing.

Opinions: Would it be the Control panel board, Motor or something else ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Opinions: Would it be the Control panel board, Motor or something else ?

Washer motor controls, check the current drawn by the motor, so it may be seeing an excess of current...

It could be either, but first I would check the motor for carbon, carbon from the brushes distributed around the motor. It might be worth taking the motor out, and finding a garage with an airline, to blow the carbon dust out, then see if that has helped.

Thanks,
TBH was surprised how clean the motor was, not being covered with carbon dust on the com or its windings. But as you say a air blast may help in removing what dust there maybe.
Read it could be the sensor at the rear of the motor that is at fault.

The machine is not in use everyday as the majority are.

My Beko of a larger model in use everyday with sometimes two loads is 11yrs old

Last edited:
Ok,
Tested motor armature and field windings, both between 1.0/3.0 Ohms.
But sensor is 114 Ohms which is high ?, think it should be approx 2.0 Ohms.

Are these sensors replaceable ?
Not seen and listed as spares.

Sponsored Links
Rear of motor to armature shaft

That doesn't really help - I'm trying to determine what sort of sensor it might be. Presumably it will be a speed/rotation sensor of some type, and its failure would explain your symptoms. Can you post a photo of the sensor?

"Today it tripped the circuit breaker, but since looking into the problem, the circuit breaker has not tripped since."
Which circuit breaker, MCB or RCD?

It was the RCD that tripped.

Below is the sensor that appears to be high in Ohms in its testing

IMG_6032.jpeg
IMG_6033.jpeg

My best guess on that sensor, is that the rotating part is fitted with magnets, then the stator is just a winding. As the magnets rotate, they induce a current flow into the windings, the current (red wires) is then fed to the PCB, which confirms the motor is rotating and the speed. I would suggest the 44 Ohms across the two red wires, is not far out from what I would expect.

You could test the theory, by connecting your meter, set on volts, across the two reds, then spinning the motor by hand - see if a voltage is produced, if so, all is well with the sensor, and you need to look elsewhere for the issue.

Of course, I might be very wrong.

But as said the sensor shows 114 Ohms where read it should be lower ?

Sorry, I was distracted here - Yes, I meant 114 Ohms.. Yo.u will need the meter on the ac voltage range.

Another test you could try, is actually running the motor under power, with the red wires disconnected - see if it's behaviour is any different to before..

Will check later visiting daughters.

But have been told its a Tacho’ not a sensor

Correct - it provides feedback of the speed of rotation, to the pcb.

There are various ways of doing it, hall effect sensors, back emf from the motor, magnets and coils etc.. Your system looks like the latter.

Some machines produce error indicators through code or light patterns. Have you looked into that? The motor sounds as if it's being instructed to stop. That means the machine is detecting fault elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back