Belling formula three - top oven not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, perhaps someone can help. I have a belling formula three double oven. (I can't find a product code, but it might be XOU388.) The top oven and grill are not working. We had problems about a year ago - there's a little light on the front that comes on when the oven is heating (ie not up to temperature). We found that if we let the upper door close with a (fairly gentle) bang, it could turn the oven off (light goes off even when not up to temperature). Opening and closing the door a few times could make it come back on. I took off the front panel, gave things a bit of a clean, and when I put it back together it seemed to be working.

Unfortunately, it has broken again. Turning on the oven wll start the fan, but the indicator light doesn't come on and the oven doesn't heat up. We dismanted it again, and we did get it working while it was apart. There's a switch between the dials for the oven and grill - I assume it's to prevent both being on at once. When the oven is off, the dial holds the switch closed, but I think something may have worn, so it wasn't holding it properly closed. Manually pushing the switch across did seem to allow the grill to work. And cleaning the connections to the switch seemed to bring the oven back to life. But when we put it back together, it stopped again. And now just taking it apart and fiddling wih the wires doesn't seem to be enough to bring it back to life.

My suspicion is a bad connection, or perhaps an internal break in a wire, or something. (The oven is currently in situ, so it's hard to access both ends of each wire to test continuity.) But maybe there's something more obvious to someone more familiar with ovens in general, and this oven in particular.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back