Belt sander for stair treads and risers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,
I’m a competent(ish) DIYer looking to buy a belt sander to finish the treads and risers on my stairs and struggling to decide:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-m9400-4-electric-belt-sander-240v/4558r
obviously a good brand but I’m concerned about the weight (6kg) as I’m female and my upper body strength isn’t amazing. I like the fact that it has a bench adapter though so maybe a good longer term purchase.

Or
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-msbs900-3-electric-belt-sander-220-240v/151gf
which is half the price and half the weight with decent reviews.

Any thoughts? Would I struggle to use the heavier one on risers?

Sponsored Links
Any thoughts? Would I struggle to use the heavier one on risers?
Firstly I think that you are going to need a second sander. This is because belt sanders simply can't sand into corners

As to the M9400, it is a modern, Chinese made version of the old Makita 9401 design, which was absolutely bulletproof. But as you say it is heavy (I have used one a few times and they are!) This isn't an issue if you are using one to sand horizontal stuff on the bench, or stuff in situ such as worktops, floors, treads, etc but for work where you have to hold one up against something, such as a riser, it's going to be physically demanding. This is because when using a belt sander you expend quite a bit of effort restraining the sander from getting away from you as well as pulling it from side to side to prevent scorching, so you can imagine that trying to work with one on the side of a riser where you also need to press the tool against the timber (not an issue with horizontal work such as floors or timber worktops where the extra mass of a heavy sander is a positive advantage), could be physically challenging to say the least. Frankly, for the task at hand a scraping (Nitromors to soften the paint first) followed by a random orbit sander with a delta sander or multitool to finish into the corners might work as well or even better and be less physically demanding.

If you want to try one for yourself, I'd consider hiring an industrial belt sander (such as a Makita 9404, the modern cousin of the original Makitas and a similar size and weight to the M9400) for the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, this is really helpful,

I have a Bosch multi sander as well as a sheet sander (which honestly is my second and I find them fairly useless). I have already stripped the stringers and spindles with a heat gun which has taken months (basically trying to fit it in between my full time work).

I’ve rented a floor edging sander for the upstairs landing but I’m finding it really hard going. It bounces around a lot and a lot of what I’ve read makes it seem that a belt sander might have been a better option for this space.

The floorboards (and the stair treads) are in such bad shape really. Old, damaged, gappy and mismatched. Painted (by me) years ago as they will never look good varnished, so I was hoping to get them smooth enough for a new coat of paint.

I guess it feels a bit wasteful to spend £40 to rent a sander that would only be £100 to buy though. I wonder if the cheap MacAllister is a better option for me?

Last edited:
Or perhaps the Makita 9911 which is only 2.5kg? Same price as the 9400 though.

Sponsored Links
I had to sand a customer's floor last month.

I did hire a drum sander and the edger. I soon remembered why I hate using edge sanders though, you have to lean over the tool whilst trying to tilt it slightly (so that it doesn't bounce). In the end I used my 180mm Festool RAS180 rather than the edge sander. It is the first time I had ever used the Festool and was pleasantly surprised to find that it sanded the wood faster than my 3" Dewalt belt sander.

I would not recommend buying a belt sander just for the staircase. It is a useful tool but you will probably find that it can only sand about 70% of each of the treads. Even the better belt sanders will only let you sand flush to an edge in one direction and with a belt sander, you really to need to sand in the direction of the grain.

-----Having just re-read your post, I see that you are planning to repaint the stairs rather than varnish them. I would strongly advise against a belt sander. It will leave a finish that is not suitable for painting. I would recommend a random orbital sander (to begin with), they have round sanding pads, typically 125 or 150mm. The pad oscillates as it rotates. A pad that just spins soon becomes clogged with paint as the paint starts to over heat. Connecting the sander to a dust extractor (read: vacuum cleaner) not only helps to suck the dust away, it also sucks up any dislodged sandpaper grit, thereby giving you a finish with fewer scratch marks. At a guess, I would say that a random orbital sander is 60% faster than using a sander that just oscillates (like your existing sander).

As a professional decorator, I am lucky enough to be able to justify purchasing sanders that cost hundreds, as a DIYer, I guess you might not be so fortunate. The likes of screwfix sell a number of random orbit sanders.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/tools/sanders/cat830906#category=cat830928

Whilst a 150mm sander will sand faster than a 125mm, you are (presumably) trying to flatten the existing paint rather than remove it? Whenever possible I try to look at existing paint in the same way that I would look at filler. Provided the paint isn't prone to chipping and flaking I sand it until it is flat. A common DIY error is to assume that you have to remove all of the paint to get a professional finish- you don't. As soon as you hit the original timber you discover loads of dents and are left with the raised wood grain. If possible flatten the old paint, don't remove it.

If faced with sanding existing paint on stairs (to be re-painted). I would start with a random orbital using 80 or 100 (up to 180- depends on the number of layers of paint) grit paper. That should be sufficient for 93(?)% of the area. I would then use a delta sander for the bits that the random orbital cannot reach.

A decent sander is only part of the solution though, you need decent abrasives. In my limited experience of buying abrasives "made" by the likes of Bosch and aimed at the DIY market, I find them to be massively over priced. Quality wise they are ok, but more expensive. If you do purchase a cheaper 125mm random orbital, you may want to consider using a better quality "mesh" type abrasive. They are less likely to start to clog as you use them. I have been happy with both the Mirka and Festool mesh abrasives- note: the lack of a paper backing to absorb the heat generated when sanding means you will need a "pad saver". Without a pad saver, you are likely to damage the "velcro" backing on the pad. Regardless of the paper

Pad saver https://www.axminstertools.com/mirka-disc-pad-savers-ax851925

Mirka abranet https://www.axminstertools.com/mirka-abranet-abrasive-disc-120g-125mm-pkt-10-502615

Festool Granat Net https://www.toucantools.co.uk/festool_abrasive_net_stf_d150_p80_gr_net50_granat_net.html

BTW, shop around rather than just following my links.

You don't say what paint you previously used. If you used water based paints then that is a horse of a different colour. Water based paints tend to clog any and all abrasives. I am fortunate that I seldom encounter them but when I do I often resort to using cellulose thinners to melt the paint and scrape it away before then sanding the pre-exisiting oil based coats of paints. Meths also works but seems to be slower and is normally more expensive.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Standard-Cellulose-Thinners-Litres-Cleaner/dp/B01N6J8395

If you do use it, buy those thick red PVC gloves, it eats through disposable nitrile and latex gloves.

This so helpful!

yes, the existing paint is a water-based floor paint and it’s definitely clogging up the edging sander’s pads.

The reason I stripped the spindles and risers was because I simply couldn’t sand them into a state that was even half decent looking. There is 100 years of paint that’s gunked everything up so stripping (wearing a proper respirator!) was the only way to make them look ok. Funny story (to me): when I stripped the spindles I found that some were replacements and had been made to the dimensions of the paint covered ones so were noticeably chunkier!

The stairs aren’t so bad - just looking super rough but I also found that trying to strip the stringer and not the tread meant there are super messy edges where the two meet. I had hoped something like a belt sander would make quicker work of getting everything to the same level.

hmmm. If I could stand carpets, it would probably be better but I really hate them. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back