Belt sander - front wheel squeeking and belts breaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front wheel on my relatively new belt sander (Black & Decker KA88) has started to squeak and my sanding belts keep breaking down the seam (where they are glued together), despite being fitted in the correct orientation. Are these two related? The belts were cheap and seem to be produced by or on behalf of a company called 'silverline'.

I didn't have this problem with the 40 grit belts.

Also, sometimes when a belt breaks, and I replace it, the sander does not activate when the button is pressed. Could this be an overheat protection feature?

Sponsored Links
The wheel probably needs lubricating (although I'm not all that familiar with belt sanders). The belts.. Silverline are cheap crap.

Black & Decker is ok for very light use, not something I would buy, try a bit of oil, as for the silverline belts put them in the bin, with any other silverline tools you may have.

Sponsored Links
no repairable componants just an assembly
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=12707266&strPageHistory=cat

does the wheel roll freely without the belt on!!!

The wheel rolls freely for a couple of seconds after I stop spinning it, but without an new one to compare it to, I can't say whether friction has increased or not. Even if I bought a new 'carrier SA' (part 4), I wouldn't be sure that I'd get it back together. I'll oil it and buy some higher quality belts and if they should break too, perhaps RMA it.

Check the base plate is not damaged, it will quickly shred the belt as it can leave a sharp edge when damaged.

i wonder iff the gaps have become clogged with cotton/compacted shredded belt !!
is there anything you can fish out using a thin item!!
is there any chance the roller will come out by loostening anything!

A few drops of oil seemed to fix the issue. I had to apply it again, a couple of hours later (squeak returned). It's a little tricky to apply (have to let it drip into place - can't apply directly) but the squeaking has stopped and no more breaking belts (or tears!)

A few drops of oil seemed to fix the issue. I had to apply it again, a couple of hours later (squeak returned). It's a little tricky to apply (have to let it drip into place - can't apply directly) but the squeaking has stopped and no more breaking belts (or tears!)

try looking for beris !!
i have had several belt sanders[5 in total] and have never ever had to oil or lubricate any :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back