belt sanders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Job: sanding down 2 dining tables. One is two and a half feet square, the other 2 1/2 x 4 1/2 feet. I need to sand the tops and eight (3-inch) legs.

I have an old cheap orbital sander but wonder if it's worth buying a belt sander.

It would initially be a one-job tool (though I'd still have it, and other uses crop up.) Paying someone else to do it would cost more than a bottom-end sander. Would a belt sander save me enough time over the orbital to justify £20 - £30 expenditure? And is the difference between 3" and 4" and a shorter or longer belt significant?

A bit of a cluttered question, but I might as well ask all the questions that come to mind now.

Sponsored Links
I bought a makita 9404 belt sander from eBay a few months back to do the stairs, its cost me £65 quid inc postage.

I sold it last week for £72 plus postage :cool:

So with eBay fees taken into account i've made a small profit.

Something you could consider

A belt sander can do a lot of damage to a table top if not used carefully; it's better to use one with a frame attached to prevent it tipping and digging into the surface. Use an abrasive belt cleaner to make the belts last longer.

I would suggest, though, that you use a random orbit (circular) sander instead, as they are easier to control while providing a good rate of stock removal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back