Bend mild steel pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all - bit of advice would be gratefully recieved...

I need to bend a 3/4" mild steel pipe (18 swg) to about a 45 degree angle.

I've got a plumbers pipe bending kit with a 3/4" former - will this do the job or am I likely to struggle to bend the steel or deform the aluminium former?

Thanks for reading my query.

Sponsored Links
Only way to find out is give it a go!
Might be alright, but it will probably crush and fold

Any chance of a pic of what you've bought? Sounds a bit weedy to me - steel pipe is usually bend using a hydraulic bending machine

I've bought nowt yet. I already own a plumbers hand held pipe bender, with about 2ft arms on it.

If I can't bend the steel, I'll go back to the drawing board and find plan B.
Rather not waste the money on the steel if I can help it though.

Sponsored Links
Its no more effort than bending steel electrical conduit so should not be a problem

The main thing to make sure of is that the pipe fits the former, a plumbers bender will be 22 & 15mm so you may get some crimpled bits on the inside of the curve and the bend will be a bit flat if your tube is 18-19mm.

Jason

Thanks for your advice all.

I reckon it's back to the drawing board though, as it sounds like I'll need to use a 22mm pipe or find a 3/4" former.

It's got to be a cleanish bend as it'll bug the heck out of me otherwise.

Edit: I clearly messed up my original question - I don't have a 3/4" former at all - it's 22mm. Doh! Thanks Jason.

Alvo - as steel has different properties to copper you are likely to encounter deformation problems as others here have indicated if you try to bodge with ill-fitting tackle. Where in the UK are you 'cos if you're NEAR me you could 'borrow' my pipe bender - a big Universal Hillmor. It's is possible (just ... a bit of a struggle) to bend up to 50mm dia thin wall (14 to 18 swg) steel in a decent manual bender. Thick wall stuff needs hydraulic.

You could also hire a conduit bender from your local HSS but would still be stuck with conduit sizes - 16,20,25 & 32mm

Jason

Alvo - as steel has different properties to copper you are likely to encounter deformation problems as others here have indicated if you try to bodge with ill-fitting tackle. Where in the UK are you 'cos if you're NEAR me you could 'borrow' my pipe bender - a big Universal Hillmor. It's is possible (just ... a bit of a struggle) to bend up to 50mm dia thin wall (14 to 18 swg) steel in a decent manual bender. Thick wall stuff needs hydraulic.

I'm in Derby thanks for the offer Symptoms...pretty central. But I'll probably have a pop with some 22mm pipe if I can find some at 18swg or thinner. Time for a Google search.. unless anyone knows where I can source some...??

Made up with all you great advice chaps - thanks again.

Alvo - I'm in the South East so am miles away ... sorry I couldn't help. Best of luck with your project.

Just a thought ... see if you have a local steel fabrication firm nearby, pop-in and have a chat, they may have a length of tube and bend it for you. Pay for the metal and a 'drink' for the bend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back