Bending hinge... suggestions?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just putting in a hatch in my garage, hatch is only about 10kg, however I've put a hinge down one side, herein lies the problem, the loft has 20mm of chipboard so it's pretty much unsupported, I thought I would use a backflap compared to standard door hinges (so the screws are further away in better wood), however the metal in the hinge is bending causing the door to jam. I'd putting in some extra holes (and tried to put screws through at an angle in the chipboard to try and grab some decent wood) Any suggestion hinges?! To solve this?
Think just some Strong hinges may help!?

Edit:
I should ass that at that corner I have a gas spring to help open the door which is probably pushing on the hinge when it opens

IMG_2747.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
just putting in a hatch in my garage, hatch is only about 10kg

What do you mean? Is this a hatch in the roof or the wall side?

however the metal in the hinge is bending causing the door to jam

Oops.. those hinges look flimsy!

Think just some Strong hinges may help!?

Possibly, but i can't envisage what you're attempting to do, so hard to say! Zoomed out picture to show the surrounding area?

IMG_2750.JPG
Hi, it's a hatch in the floor, so the gas spring is to help support the weight (and keep it open), here is an image taken slightly further out (hatch is open)

Sponsored Links
Replace the hinges with stronger ones and this time set the hinge into the joist more.

Otherwise it will eventually fail and the most awkward time and be a right PITA.

Hinges are mounted incorrectly the pivot point should be above the flap straddling both frame and flap.

Hinges are mounted incorrectly the pivot point should be above the flap straddling both frame and flap.

Yeh, the pivot point is (or rather was!) slightly above the flap (although I made it fine and did need to trim a little at the corner, you can see the metal has bent and is now below that level. Agree that it is a tad proud of the floor side.

So my resolution, a nice fat fire door hinge (3.5mm thick metal)z I also pulled up the chipboard about 10cm either side of the hinge and put in some decent wood so that the screws would h ave something to bite into.
Much better! Thanks all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back