B&Q Kitchen Door hinges - Blum soft closers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've fitted a new B&Q Kitchen (well almost) which looks very nice. However I don't like the cheap soft closers that B&Q do so would like to fit 'Blum' bluemotion closers .

I first saw the Blum soft closers in Ikea, so bought one pack of hinges complete with closers from Ikea just to see if they would fit my doors/carcasses.

Problem: The Ikea hinges are the clip on type which fitted to a cupboard/door ok. The only trouble is, although the Ikea hinges have a clever screw adjust mechanism so that you can adjust the door in or out and away from the carcass, when the screw is at the max adjustment outwards the hinged side of the door is just too close to the vertical side of the carcass so on opening the door it fouls the edge and will not close properly!

I then removed the soft closer part to see if it will fit onto the B&Q hinges and it does fit into the square hole if a little loose fitting although not quite enough to fall off. Does anyone have a remedy for this? I've tried bending out the small clip to try and make it a tighter fit but its still a bit loose although on closing the door it works fine though.

So what would any of you experts out there advise, should I stick to the B&Q hinges and just put up with the fact that they're a bit loose on the hinge (does anyone have a remedy), or should I replace all the hinges with Blum hinges?

Only further question is if I replace with the Blum hinges will I end up with the same problem as I had with the Ikea hinges as i'm thinking that maybe the Ikea ones are actually made by Blum.

OR are the 'generic' Blum soft closers different to the ones supplied to Ikea, as I know that Ikea stuff can tend to be a bit quirky

Sorry for rattling on and i've prob' bored you all to tears by now but if anyone has had a similar problem i'd be grateful for some help

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back