Berlingo 2001 1.9D clutch releae bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone pleae reassure me that the fragile looking plastic clips on the (BE3/5 Berlingo gearbox gearbox) clutch release bearing,are enough to keep it in place on the end of the two prongs ? Looks too easy to slip off and just spin the whole assy?
Looks awfull delicate to me !
Is there anything extra needed to retain it on there ?
Thanks in advance for any info.
I'd hate to refit it all and it goes "BANG" at the first attempt !
Tom

Sponsored Links
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the clips are just locators and aren't under any stress....the back face of the release bearing bears the brunt of the force. I'm thinking of a C15 van though.
John :)

Thank you Burnerman !
I got the second plastic bush needed to enable reassembly 'smornin' so I can finish the job with peace of mind !
Your reply prompted my memory; I had a Haynes Manual for the old C15 and blow me down ! It looks pretty much identical, down to the plastic bushes and roll pin through the release lever.
Thank you so much Burnerman.

No worries, I guess this gearbox has the external clutch operating arm?
If so, just lubricate the top and bottom bushes where it goes through the alloy casting......greatly prone to stiffening up with salt, etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.
I greased the nylon bearings and yes, it has the extrnal flat operating arm BE3/5 but the delicately balanced release bearing on the two forks inside.
I knudged the arm accidently on refitting, off it came ! Had to lower it down and try again. It's together now and I 'm still, gulp, hoping !
Just Speedo housing, drive shafts and ancilliary stuff for tomorrow.
Much appreciate your advice.
Tom

I knudged the arm accidently on refitting, off it came ! Had to lower it down and try again. It's together now and I 'm still, gulp, hoping !
Normally, once you get the box in, the bearing can’t come off easily.

That's my theory too - the bearing just has to slide up the clutch shaft so shouldn't wander once it's in. I have to admit though, the retaining clips don't exactly inspire confidence, but I don't recall them being plastic. Mind you, that was 18 years ago since I've seen this one :eek:

I'm back again !
I've just spent 3/4 an hour trying to re-fit the speedo housing to the back of the gearbox !
Even without the plastic drive gear in it, seems impossible to find a way to slip it on over the machined shallow spigot on the casing ?
I feel my sanity slipping !
Have I lost a part, a spacer? I can't see any lugs on the bearbox to receive the cut-out in the part removed (oil channel?), can't understand why it won't slide on !
Feels like it never came off there ! Madness looms !
The two bits seem to be the same size. Normally you can feel when you are close to a fit, even if it's lop sided.
Thanks.
Tom

I think I have it !
It only lines up when you push the driveshaft part way in. God help me if the plastic drive was dislodged.
So much doubt involved when you haven't done it before.

I believe it's well worth changing the driveshaft oils seals on these when doing the clutch.

Anyone reading this far. You need to put the miserable little magnetic sensor retaining plate back in BEFORE PUTTING THE SPEEDO DRIVE HOUSING BACK!
Stripping it back down !

It's finished !
Sweet as a nut...........so far ! Ha haa !
(I wasn't laughing earlier, mind ! )
Thanks for your help Burnerman.
Regards,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Back