Bespoke Tent Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a new tent.

Making a new light fitting for it. Battery powered lanterns are Ok, but when you have a hook-up, I want a 240 lead light. The tent actually has Velcro tabs up to the roof to fix a flex and there's a loop in the centre.

So, I'm thinking an ES lampholder with a built-in hook:

http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/moredetails.php?ref=LHchrome16&gclid=CPGX6vvRhLcCFQjKtAodlH0Amw

And a high-output LED lamp like this (you know I like Osram!):

http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/pr...le-led---145w-gls-es-warm-white/#.UYlItc9wZwE

The tent is 2.2m high, so headroom isn't a huge issue.

A striplight seems a better solution, but it is not easy to fix and will not give as much light.

Whaddya reckon?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Got something almost identical. It's just not bright enough and does not give an even spread of light over the area.

How about a modified emergency light fitting. Runs on mains normally and on batteries when no mains avialable

Put a switch in series with the battery to control it when on battery.

Only snag is it would only have about 3 hours life on a single charge

May be have a larger external battery.

Sponsored Links
Bernard & Owain, thank you for your ideas they're good ideas in principle, but the units are too heavy. The hole made to hang lamps from is punched in a tab of PVC sheet material sewn into the centre of the roof.

It's a Hi Gear Zenobia 6. If you look on the video, you can just see the tab in the roof at 36 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZomFx12wBo

Plus, with the solid sides of the Defenders, would they be as good as spreading the light as a fitting with opaque sides (or a naked lamp)?

I'm in the process of trying to contact the tent manufacturer to see what the maximum load on this lamp hanging loop is.

I hang a battery LED lantern from our tab/hook for a general low level light for daughters to have on during the night or getting changed.
For brighter light I just have a 16w 2D fitting plugged in and laying on top of one of the travel cupboards.

Add a few more velcro tabs and run an LED ropelight around the interior?

Also, when you go camping, are you on foot, or in a vehicle? Is thieving a problem where you go?

:oops: We don't currently have any furniture...

The reason I wanted to use the ceiling loop was because it is central (better spread of light) and the integral Velcro tabs keep the flex tucked neatly out of the way right down to the socket. And because I've got nothing tall to stand a light fitting on...

I could run a rope light using the existing Velcro tabs up one side across the top and down the other. But a quick search does not throw up any lumen values for LED rope lights.

When we go, we go in a car, but I am not driving at the moment, so although we are in a vehicle, if I go out, I'm on foot.

Thieves? You take your chances on a campsite, like everyone else. Touch wood, I've not had a problem yet. Yet.

Why do you ask about being on foot or in a vehicle?

Also, unless your tent is very high, I find I keep banging my head on the hanging light so bear that in mind. Unless you're a short ar$3 Simon ! :LOL:

Nope, over 6 foot!

But tent is 2,2m in the centre.

A lampholder + lamp is not going to hang down too far. Even if I call it 200mm for both lampholder & lamp, that should be OK. Unless that's too close heat-wise....

I'm just emailing Osram to see how hot the lamp gets. I'm worried about how much ventilation I need to give it to stop it burning a hole in the roof.... :eek:

Ah. Gotcha. Did think of that. Light does come through, but it's not very efficient.

Unless it's the sun.... ;)

Camped this weekend.

Got woken upon Sunday morning by a fox sniffing around at 6.30.

Next morning, a load of Cuckoos started up at 4.00...Give me strength.

Both times, I couldn't get back off to sleep again.

I haven't had egg barms cooked al fresco at 4.30am for a long time!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back