Best adhesive to glue metal to no gloss tile.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My situation is this:
I have a toilet roll holder that I wish to secure to a tiled wall and I’m trying to avoid drilling the tiles.

The toilet roll holder comes in 2 parts, the arm itself and a conceal fitting bracket. Normally the bracket attaches to the wall with 2 screws but instead I was hoping to glue it in place.

The bracket is metal and has a good flat surface area of approx 2cm square that makes contact with the wall, so plenty of space to apply the glue.

The tiles are ceramic ones from B&Q called Sicily and they have an awkward finish. Rather then a glossy finish they have a matt that seems to be kind of porous and always feels dusty even when they’re clean.

Anyway I also tried suction cup fittings but they don’t stick to them either and I recently tried 2 part epoxy which didn’t hold.

However the epoxy didn’t stick to the metal bracket either which made me suspect I hadn’t mixed it well or it was just very poor quality. It was literally possible to wipe it off like hard chewing gum.

Summary
Should I try to glue the metal bracket to the tile again with better 2 part epoxy? Or is there a better adhesive I should be using, or some kind of preparation I should perform on the tile first in order to help it take.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
plug an screws or a free standing bog holder..
my mate tried doing similar a while back...mastic...no more nails.and a few other things,spent a fortune but kids kept pulling it off the wall lol
ended up with a free standing one. :LOL:

somebody might be along with better advise mate
best of :D

Thank you both, not the news I wanted to hear but I appreciate the help.

Looks like I will have to borrow my dad's tile bit :(

Sponsored Links
they are ceramic tiles mate, no need for a tile bit, a simple masonary bit will do the job.
you could actually drill into the grout lines with a narrow bit, you would only catch the edges of the tile and small screws, then if you ever have to move the toilet roll holder,its just a case of a bit of grout.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back