Best approach to new floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Folks

Hoping for some advice.

I have lifted the floor upstairs on one side of my house (20-yr old conversion where the floor joists were spread a bit too far apart:(

In putting the floor back, I will end up with 3 areas: bathroom; landing (stairs going into the loft); bedroom - the stairs to the loft aren't in yet.

My wife is keen on laying ceramic tiling in the bathroom part, and possibly all three rooms.

One driver for pushing forward with the work is that measurements for the new loft stairs need to be taken next week, and I am thinking that I can cover the joists in the bathroom and under the stair risers in one go, but leave the rest of the floor until we decide what we want.

My questions are:

1. What is the best thing to lay on the joists, to cope with ceramic tiles? Marine ply has been suggested, and I am assuming approx 18 - 25mm thickness would be needed.

2. If marine ply is the way forward, any things I should look out for if I decide to only lay this in the bathroom and under the stair risers? My thinking is that if I go that way we can decide later how much (if anything!) we want to tile, but obviously I don't want to cover all of the joists if we decide to lay a wood floor.

Make sense?

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back