best cable to use...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
im installing a switched out door light to the rear of my property.

will be spuring off from a nicely located 13amp double socket located on a ring.

will be installing a 3amp FCU in close proximity to the original socket then will be heading through the cavity wall to the great outdoors where it will pass through an IP54 single gang switch onwards to a IP54 halogen floodlight...

the cable i have in mind is

SWA Armoured Cable 1.5mm 6943X 3core.. from the TLC site...

is this sufficent for the job or does any body have any other better cables

Sponsored Links
You will struggle to terminate the SWA into the fused spur, the switch and possibly the light fitting.

The cable itself is very suitable for outside work, but tricky to work with to be honest.

If it were me, then I'd go for that Hi-Tuff cable (TLC sell that too)
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/HT1dot5slash3.html

Part P applies etc... Even if you aren't bothered about that, make sure you do a good safe job, which by the sounds of things you will.

Good luck

Thank you, looks like a nice easier cable to use!

not buying from TLC just use that as a ref then go to my local wholsaler nodoubt they will sell it as well.

steve

It may avoid the glanding issues, but hi-tuf fights back against bending even more than SWA does....

Sponsored Links
If the cable is unlikely to suffer mechanical or rodent damage then I'd go with black rubber 3 core flex.

When you pass through the wall make sure that the external cable has a drip loop and that the hole from outside to in has an upwards angle. Both will prevent water running along the cable and potentially passing in to the cavity / internal side of the wall.

no there will be no chance of rodent bother or mechanical as i will be spuring from an upstairs socket and working down the wall .

i thought the flex was only for pendants and consumer products i.e washing machine / fridge etc etc.. so and so. thats what i learnt during my 17th edition... i may be wrong.

if i am wrong then 1.5m black flex will be the way forward as A) its cheaper and B) i got 40m lying around my garage. :)

It should be rubberised black flex NOT PVC black flex.

It's an old boy method and although I've done 17th you might be right about the flex category.

General Purpose - Rubber Flexible Cable

Application: Designed primarily as a trailing cable for use
in the supply of power for portable or mobile tools and equipment
Suitable to operate under light stress in dry or damp conditions.

Anyone wish to add to this ?

no there will be no chance of rodent bother or mechanical as i will be spuring from an upstairs socket and working down the wall .
But
heading through the cavity wall to the great outdoors where it will pass through an IP54 single gang switch
so it's going to get to <2m from the ground.

But if you're sure about mechanical damage, TRS flex with a drip loop will be ideal. If the socket circuit doesn't have an RCD, make the FCU an RCD one....

yeah mechanicla damage is minimal. got nothing in the back garden to cause concern , and yes the switch will be located less than 2 meters but again nothing to cause concern. (famous last words)

the sockets are protected by RCD so will be ok with a 3amp FCU, just had a look and the light fitting is 150w so will be using 1mm 3core black RUBBER flex. plenty of room there no need for the 1.5mm overkill.

i got no intention of moving so no need for electrical survey to whinge about my additions...!! :)

thanks for the help. unless you got any more pointers..!!

Regarding bending HiTuff, BAS is quite correct, it can be a pain in the r-ear to bend, but if you get it nice and warm first (i.e keep it indoors near the radiators for a few hours) then it's not too bad.

"Not too bad" is relative, of course. Would you ever get a drip loop anywhere near as small as you'd like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back