20w security floodlight to waterproof 2 gang socket question?.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
92623CA7-2401-434F-9E2F-0F1F22CE1915.jpeg
JUST WANT TO DOUBLE CHECK FITTING A 20W LED SECURITY LIGHT.

Hi all

Iv recently purchased a 20w LED security flood light from good old amazon

MEIKEE Security Lights with Motion Sensor 20W, LED PIR Floodlights, 2000lm LED Sensor Outdoor Light, IP66 Waterproof Outdoor Flood Light, 75W Halogen Lights Equivalent Replacement Warm White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079FHP8KW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nGOqFbEPAS7V2

I also extended the length with a waterproof junction box and 3core 1.5mm pvc cable and fitted a 13a fuse and plug and then simply plunged in to the outdoor waterproof 2 gang socket.

To make things more neater and save usage on sockets I’d like it to be connected to the outdoor socket, NOW I understand that you can’t wire in the light to any socket as the socket will be on a ring main (kitchen ring) so therefore I purchased a waterproof 13a FCU again from amazon.

Weatherproof IP55 Rated 13A Outdoor Fused Connection Unit (FCU) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K73RHG0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_xWOqFb1GA495W

So can a 2.5 t&e cable from outdoor socket to FCU be used then 3 core 1.5mm pvc cable from FCU to light be ok? Or should it be 1mm lighting cable from socket to FCU?

Is 13a fuse in the FCU overkill or will it need to be changed down to a 5a fuse. Would also at a later date like to add a second or third 20w or 10w led light added at some point to this setup.

The kitchen ring has a B32 30mA breaker in the consumer unit.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A ring final uses 2.5 mm² cable rated 20 amp or more doubled up so every socket draws some power from each leg, but when we extend we can insert more cable into the ring final, but it has a limit of 106 meters, so we need to test first, so for DIY people who don't have the test equipment the fused spur is the easy way out, in the main we would for out doors use a switched fused connection unit in the house, so if any water does get into any part we can simply switch it off and it will not stop us using stuff in the house, and also everything goes through that fuse so there is no chance the total can exceed 13A for an length of time.

IP55 is not water proof, it is water resistance, so normally some drain is included so any water that does get in can get out again.

View attachment 202782

So can a 2.5 t&e cable from outdoor socket to FCU be used then 3 core 1.5mm pvc cable from FCU to light be ok? Or should it be 1mm lighting cable from socket to FCU?

Is 13a fuse in the FCU overkill or will it need to be changed down to a 5a fuse. Would also at a later date like to add a second or third 20w or 10w led light added at some point to this setup.

2.5 link to the Fcu is normal if you have some, you could reuse your existing 1.5 to the light, though avoid going in the top of the FCU if possible as it may allow water ingress.
Also i would refuse the fcu to 5 amp, but not essential if your using the 1.5 cable

Sponsored Links
Off topic but I am curious.
What are all the other cables running from left to right in the picture?

Cat 6 cables an old virgin coax feed, an old satellite coax and Virgin phone line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back