Best way to wire outdoor flood light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope all is well. I am looking into installing an outdoor floodlight myself soon and was after some advice.

Currently the nearest power point is a fused connection unit which is powering 2 indoor sockets which are supplying power to a washing machine, condenser dryer and a freezer. The same FCU is powering 1 outdoor socket to.

Will it be ok/safe to run some 2.5mm2 T&E cable from the the same FCU to power the into an outdoor flood light?

Will upload some pics of the above set up shortly.

Would use an outdoor rated wiska box to make all the connections.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Currently the nearest power point is a fused connection unit which is powering 2 indoor sockets which are supplying power to a washing machine, condenser dryer and a freezer. The same FCU is powering 1 outdoor socket to.
That sounds like far too much for one FCU.

Tell us what circuit it is on - fuse/MCB rating and cable size.

Will it be ok/safe to run some 2.5mm2 T&E cable from the the same FCU to power the into an outdoor flood light?
2.5mm² is far too big but even though one light is not much to add, there is already too much on one FCU.

Will upload some pics of the above set up shortly.
Look forward to them.

Would use an outdoor rated wiska box to make all the connections.
Why will there be connections requiring a wiska box?

Hi, it’s on ring circuit 8 with 32 amp breaker. Not been able to open to see what cable size is connected to the MCB. Cable from the socket to FCU is 2.5mm2 with a 13amp fuse. Wiska box was to house the cables connections externally above the floodlight so they’re watertight…or alternatively I could house the connections inside the house in the below choc box?

Or would be best to take a feed from completely different socket from different ring to supply the floodlight?

Attachments

• IMG_6308.jpeg
    IMG_6308.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6309.png
    IMG_6309.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 29
Hi, it’s on ring circuit 8 with 32 amp breaker. Not been able to open to see what cable size is connected to the MCB.
Ok, that's good enough - assuming all is as it should be.

Cable from the socket to FCU is 2.5mm2 with a 13amp fuse.
Ok.

Wiska box was to house the cables connections externally above the floodlight so they’re watertight…
Do you mean the light comes with a flex attached?
If not run a flex into the light.

or alternatively I could house the connections inside the house in the below choc box?
That would be much better.

Or would be best to take a feed from completely different socket from different ring to supply the floodlight?
If you can, yes.
You will need another FCU with 3A fuse in which case 1mm² will be adequate; T&E to FCU and flex from FCU to light.

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes I believe the flood lights I’ve seen come with some flex attached.

Just tap into nearest lighting radial, then drill through wall and tap into waterproof junction box as near to the light as possible to reduce outdoor cabling. You might be near an existing switch. A bit of chasing and lifting the floorboards but worth it for a neat finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back