Plastic led floodlight 20w has only live and neutral but no earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought some 20w led floodlights from Amazon as in photo. They seem very good quality and give out a good light and are only going to be used for indoor use.
61-rynfxDoL._SL1500_.jpg
They body is tough plastic/nylon and as per title they have only a live and neutral wire but no earth. Is it necessary for a light made up like this to have an earth wire or is that superfluous?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does it have a logo with one square inside another square? (This means no it doesn’t)

Double insulated/Class 2 items do not require an earth

The body is tough plastic/nylon and as per title they have only a live and neutral wire but no earth. Is it necessary for a light made up like this to have an earth wire or is that superfluous?
Does it have a logo with one square inside another square? (This means no it doesn’t)
Double insulated/Class 2 items do not require an earth
Where/how would it be connected?

Sponsored Links
Where/how would it be connected?
For those who feel the need for total strict compliance with regulations, teh fact that this floodlamp comes with a (2-core) flying lead raises an interesting question ....

... if it were a light fitting (other than a pendant lampholder) with terminals inside to which the supply cable had to be connected, there would be a requirement to run a CPC ('earth') 'to it' 'a point in the wiring'), even if it were Class 2. Does the fact that this product comes with a flying 2-core cable remove that requirement and, if not, how is one meant to comply?

Kind Regards, John

That applies to fixed wiring.

There will/should be a CPC to the point - the same as a pendant and class 2 luminaires which don't have a CPC to each individual lamp(bulb).

That applies to fixed wiring.
Indeed, but if one runs a cable (usually 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² T+E) which is part of one's 'lighting circuit' all the way to, say, a luminaire (which has terminals), that surely counts as 'fixed wiring', doesn't it?
There will/should be a CPC to the point - the same as a pendant and class 2 luminaires which don't have a CPC to each individual lamp(bulb).
Yes, but, as above, regardless of what does or does not 'go to each individual lamp/bulb', the ('fixed wiring') supply to 'the (Class 2) luminare' (as a whole) has to include a CPC, doesn't it?

Kind Regards, John

I'm not sure if you're being serious or playing Devil's advocate.

Do you suggest Woodman shove a CPC down the sheath as far as he can?

I'm not sure if you're being serious or playing Devil's advocate.
I'm certainly not playing Devil's Advocate, and nor would I care just connecting that 2-core cable to a supply, without a CPC, even if it were strictly non-compliant.

However, to the best of my knowledge, a pendant lampholder is the only exception mentioned in the regs to the requirement to run a CPC. I think we are probably agreed that if one connects fixed wiring to terminals within a Class 2 item (be it a luminaire, fan, power supply or whatever) one has to include a CPC. Is it your view that a manufacturer can remove that requirement by supplying the product with a bit of factory-fitted 2-core cable?

Kind Regards, John

I don't agree that the fitting is the point referred to in the regulations, especially if it is not fixed directly on the wall or ceiling.

It's no different than class 2 downlights which have two-core lamp holders.
There must be other similar things but I can't think of any at the moment, mainly lights I suppose and things with flexes.

If the OP fits a box of some sort on the wall for the connections, then that will be the point - the same as a rose.

I don't agree that the fitting is the point referred to in the regulations, especially if it is not fixed directly on the wall or ceiling.
Fair enough - I'm trying to learn! ...

... so if I have a Class 2 luminaire (which doesn't come with a fitted cable), it would be compliant to take the (3-core) fixed wiring to a JB and then run 2-core cable from the JB to the luminaire? If so, would you say that there is, or should be, a maximum length of that 2-core cable that would be compliant?

Kind Regards, John

so if I have a Class 2 luminaire (which doesn't come with a fitted cable), it would be compliant to take the (3-core) fixed wiring to a JB and then run 2-core cable from the JB to the luminaire?
The regulation regarding a CPC to all points does state that it is only to enable class 1 fittings to be fitted (in the future).
So, I would think that the CPC should be close enough to enable that.

There really would be no need to do as you suggest or to think up different scenarios.

If so, would you say that there is, or should be, a maximum length of that 2-core cable that would be compliant?
I was going to say that there isn't a distance mentioned, perhaps there is no need.

This almost seems to obvious to discuss or have any doubt. I cannot help thinking you have something else in mind.

Thanks for all your answers and advice. I looked at the instructions that came with the floodlight and the symbol that you Iggifer mentioned is on there as per scan attached. I guess that means that as you say no ear
IMG_20171004_0001.jpg
th is necessary. Thanks

A 20 watt LED driver in an all plastic / nylon might have a problem disipating the waste heat. It shouldn't be much heat ( a watt or two ) but if the housing is thermally non conductive the temperature of the driver and LED elements is going to be high. Not good for reliability and / or long life.

It is possible the "driver" is nothing more than a capacitor limiting the current through the LED elements, not much waste heat but very short life for the LED elements due to very control of the current through the LED elements.

Maybe the plastic / nylon is a coating on a metal case, if that is how the unit is built then an Earth to the metal would be preferable.

The 10 watt units I use have finned metal heat sinks and are Earthed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back