Wiring a LED AC floodlight up with no earth wire

John, No, I'm asking if the plastic bodies of e.g. vacuum cleaners and drills are the second part of double insulation.
Well, they obviously might be - that depends upon whether there is a satisfactory "first part of double insulation".

As I said, in the case of a drill, there might be a metal chuck (or metal parts of a chuck) which are touchable without any insulation between it and the user - so, in that case, it would presumably have some sort of "double insulation' within the drill (if it were Class II).

As I also said, in terms of satisfying the requirements for Class II status, true 'double insulation' seems much less common than reliance on 'reinforced (single) insulation'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I suppose that leads me back to my usual question, of whether a 'third category' (nothing to earth) item is actually 'allowed' if it does not have adequately 'reinforced' insulation to qualify as Class II. On the face of it, such an item probably does not provide adequate protection against electric shock - which, the in absence of an earthable metal casing, seemingly has to be provide by adequate
This obviously does not apply to things like drills, hair dryers, vacuum cleaners etc. which are outside of the scope of BS7671, but in relation to things which are within it's scope (which, I imagine, would include light fittings etc.), I've just noticed ...

upload_2019-6-3_14-7-49.png

This would seem to imply that, say, a plastic light fitting, which could not be Class I (since there is no metal to earth) would not be acceptable to BS7671 (i.e. 'would not be allowed') if it had only 'basic insulation' (i.e. not insulation which qualified as 'double/reinforced'), unless a further layer of 'supplementary insulation' were added as part of the installation process (effectively turning it into Class II).

I can't recall ever having seen that symbol on anything!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back