LED flood lights - cheap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I looked three years ago for flood lights LEDs where quite pricey, but looking again now there are about £1/watt with 10 and 20w versions with or without pir littering ebay.

Example:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIR-Motio...t=UK_Garden_Lighting&var=&hash=item1e877b05db

So where is was a case that halogens still held it for pir control short-term illumination these have got to give the £4 wilkos halogens a run for there money? Many even come pre-wired with a plug, all be it, on a stupidly short lead.

Daniel

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Yes, we know. Its called critical mass.

Any chance you could read what you typed and edit the text so that it makes sense?

When I looked three years ago for flood lights LEDs where quite pricey, but looking again now there are about £1/watt with 10 and 20w versions with or without pir littering ebay.
Yup.

And so many of the cheap ones are disgusting and/or dangerous piles of carp made by companies in China who either do not know how, or simply don't care, to make things safely, who fake CE and other accreditations, and who sell you stuff where you can count yourself lucky if all that happens is that they go wrong.

"Litter(ing)" is a very apposite word.

That seller is in Glasgow? Yeah - I'm sure that there is someone there taking payments and processing orders, but look again at the quality of the English in that eBay advert and think seriously about whether they really are a UK company.

The reason that all that litter on eBay is so cheap when compared to quality items made by established lighting manufacturers and sold by established UK based retailers/wholesalers is not that the latter two groups are making obscene profit margins. It's that the cheap products are at best sh*te and at worst dangerous sh*te.

So where is was a case that halogens still held it for pir control short-term illumination these have got to give the £4 wilkos halogens a run for there money?
Please print that out, give it to someone who hasn't seen it before, and have them read it out aloud exactly as it is written.

Please print that out, give it to someone who hasn't seen it before, and have them read it out aloud exactly as it is written.
So where it was the case that halogens still held it for pir control short-term illumination, these have got to give the £4 wilkos halogens a run for there money?

Sponsored Links
I understand that the quality of cheap electrical goods can be pretty sketchy, but while I gave an ebay link as the example, the same price range of LED products can be found on TLC, and I expect while far from amazing they are probably as good as the budget halogen lamps found on the highstreet.

Daniel

I just replaced my dads outside light with a 20 watt led pir floodlight that cost about 20 quid. When I took the connection box apart to connect in the internal wires were held together by plastic twist caps and the screws were so soft I stripped one just putting it back together.

You get what you pay for !

I just replaced my dads outside light with a 20 watt led pir floodlight that cost about 20 quid. When I took the connection box apart to connect in the internal wires were held together by plastic twist caps and the screws were so soft I stripped one just putting it back together.

You get what you pay for !
You're lucky the wires were even connected to each other - in one I bought the earth wire was just left floating. Non-DI and metal casing!

You're lucky the wires were even connected to each other - in one I bought the earth wire was just left floating. Non-DI and metal casing!
Note to all those reading this topic:

Unless you opened it up to check the wiring a fault like that would remain undetected until someone got an electric shock.

Note to all those reading this topic:

Unless you opened it up to check the wiring a fault like that would remain undetected until someone got an electric shock.

Unless the fault is picked up in the correct testing / commissioning of course, in particular IR and Earth continuity test :)

screenshot_231.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back