12v 10W LED Floodlight flickers on, then off....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I am stumped! I recently bought the above outdoor floodlight from eBay, and upon connecting a 15W Transformer and plugging it in, the LED flickered on, then immediately off. Upon pulling the plug from the socket and putting it back in immediately, no light.... but if I waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in, the LED flickered off and on again, exactly as before. I should add that when it flickered off, it didn't come back on again.

So, I bought another transformer (this time a 10W Output, wired it up to the light, plugged it in, and guess what.... the same thing happened!

Does anyone have any idea what has occurred? I have opened the back of the light, nothing seems untoward inside.... it's similar to the one in the following eBay link;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Outdoor-l...2810894&tpos=top&ttype=coupon&talgo=undefined

Help!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Did you just get a standard transformer, or did you get an LED driver "transformer"? and have you checked your connections/terminals are all nice and tight?

pj

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I bought LED Power Supply units, but I only twisted the wires together and wrapped the joints with insulation tape.... I know the twists were quite tight, but could that really have been the issue?

Did you just get a standard transformer, or did you get an LED driver "transformer"? and have you checked your connections/terminals are all nice and tight?

pj

Check the wiring in the socket and check the wiring in the plug - if it's a loose connection it sounds like that's where it is.

pj

OK, I checked the plug, all is OK with it, then I connected all wiring to and from the plug lead/LED Supply/flood light with terminal connectors, switched on and..... exactly the same thing. Could it be the actual LED Light, inside the flood light?

Just want to point out that it isn't my wiring, I've checked and double checked which colour wires go where, and neither should the issue be the serviceability of the LED Supply units, since I bought 2 brand new items....

Double check the wiring inside the wall socket is secure, but it sounds like you've got a dud driver or light fitting

Pj

A JCC Starflood is £30-40.

A unit from Thorn or Philips, for example, 5 to 10 times as much.

You bought one on eBay, from China, for £5.51 including shipping, and you're wondering why it doesn't work very well?

:rolleyes:

A JCC Starflood is £30-40.

A unit from Thorn or Philips, for example, 5 to 10 times as much.

You bought one on eBay, from China, for £5.51 including shipping, and you're wondering why it doesn't work very well?

:rolleyes:

Doesn't everything come from China? ;) But in all honesty, I buy quite a lot of things from eBay China, and I haven't had any real issues....

And pjcomp, I tried it on other wall sockets too, with no change in result.

I buy quite a lot of things from eBay China, and I haven't had any real issues.....
Well - I guess your luck couldn't last forever.

I hope none of what you've bought has been electrical goods that you use indoors, like chargers, adapters, socket strips etc - you really would not want to find out the hard way what issues there can be with those.

No, remote control planes, boats, a couple of watches, lights for the bikes, batteries, shoes, jewellery, memory sticks, cards, wall murals, phone/tablet cases, thermal masks, golf cleats.... an odd assortment, but so much cheaper!

No, remote control planes, boats, a couple of watches, lights for the bikes, batteries, shoes, jewellery, memory sticks, cards, wall murals, phone/tablet cases, thermal masks, golf cleats.... an odd assortment, but so much cheaper!
Non of which ( except for out of control model aircraft ) are safety hazards if they fail.

Badly designed and cheaply manufactured phone chargers cause fires.

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_FakeiPhonechargerdanger.asp

That applies to fake items but since many of the low cost items with a non UK brand name are "manufactured" in the same way as the fake devices these "branded" items can also be as dangerous as the fake items with reputable but forged brand names on them.

I understand that, which is why I haven't bought anything that could be a real safety hazard.... anyway, back on track, I took the floodlight apart this morning, found nothing untoward, so I am binning it.... and have ordered a standard 85-265V Floodlight. No transformer/LED Supply needed....

screenshot_177.jpg

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back