Outdoor LED Floodlight issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am hoping for a little bit of help. I have been going through LED's like i go through under-crackers.

So, the back garden has always had two floodlights, one had never worked and the other a twin spot that i swapped when i moved in which as worked ever since (28 months) a few months back i swapped this for a 100W LED Floodlight off eBay which worked fine for a few weeks then it went to LED heaven - half of the LEDs wouldn't illuminate and the others would just come on VERY dim and flicker. I got this replaced and within a week the same thing happened!!! Put it down to poo lights.

Bought another 100W and a 30W http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361749265398 and a standalone PIR from here: http://www.screwfix.com/p/zinc-360-corner-pir-sensor/8104k

Now, these both worked great for a while, 30W lasted 10 days then died but the 100W still worked, i then replaced that with this: http://www.wickes.co.uk/Luceco-LED-Floodlight-30W-Black/p/155310

So far the Luceco is working but last night the 100W went pop and now thats not working either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SO, am i buying rubbish or is there something i am doing wrong?

Lights are all wired up right and connected to my ground floor light circuit.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
I would put it down to cheap LED fittings from Ebay unless that wickes one dies anytime soon.

Have a look at this guy's web site. He has taken apart many 100W lights and shows how many are very poor.
https://www.youtube.com/user/bigclivedotcom/search?query=100W+LED

My personal option is that to get the most out of these LED lights, many/most are using low quality LEDs that are being driven 'hot' (ie harder than they can cope with) and so their failure rate is high. However I am not sure what price point or supplier you have to get to to get a light with a suitably rated LED inside.
sfk

Sponsored Links
130W of LED lighting? How big is your garden?

2017_01_12_08_25_15_SK2_Google_Maps.jpg

IMG_0729.JPG

30287_200654785_IMG_01_0002.jpg

Don't buy from eBay, is the answer here I suspect. eBay is good for lots of things, just not electrical accessories. You don't know what you're getting, and as indicated, big Clive has ripped a lot of stuff from eBay apart, and quite frankly, some of it is literally deadly.

Luceco is actually a British General brand, so decent enough.

You're buying rubbish!

Cheap LED tat is sold everywhere. Some people just go for cheap!

Luceco stuff is *ok*, not high end, quite budget. Seen loads of their 7w GU10 LEDs returned to wholesalers - Literally hundreds.

My garden is about that size, and is let adequately (for finding the cat, putting the bins out, etc) by two 12W LED floods with an extra 6W one at the side for unlocking the driveway gate.

In that case I'll fire the other 30watt unit up and see how it goes.

Cheers

Luceco stuff is *ok*, not high end, quite budget. Seen loads of their 7w GU10 LEDs returned to wholesalers - Literally hundreds.
We used them on a rewire recently as we used a wholesaler that doesn't stock Enlite. We were disappointed, customer didn't seem too fussed. The job I've been second fixing this week though, is for a multi-millionaire property developer so he's not dumb, light fittings were spec'd by the architect, bought from the architects supplier and they came with Luceco lamps. He is not going to be happy with those (some of them are 10+ feet in the air). Got a feeling in me bones they'll be getting swapped for Enlites

i swapped this for a 100W LED Floodlight off eBay which worked fine for a few weeks then it went to LED heaven - half of the LEDs wouldn't illuminate and the others would just come on VERY dim and flicker. I got this replaced and within a week the same thing happened!!! Put it down to poo lights.
screenshot_1076.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back