4 wires to 3 wires on a pir floodlight help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to change our outside pir floodlight for an led one as it's 20 years old problem i have is there are 4 wires going to a terminal block earth,red,blue,yellow but the new led light has only 3 wires blue,red and earth hw do i wire it up here is a picture of the old wiring.John

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_124931693_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201005_124931693_HDR.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 2,304
Sponsored Links
that gave me a shock at first.

Leave the yellow disconnected and insulate. It's an override

took yellow out but not working,forgot to mention there is a switch in the garage for this to turn it off and on ,John
This is the new pit light

Attachments

• IMG_20201006_162849668.jpg
    IMG_20201006_162849668.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
No the earth sleeve came off,i'll put it back on before I fix it all in,john

In the lamp one of the White wires must connect to the Blue ( Neutral ) wire and the other White wire must connect to the Red wire ( Switched Live from the PIR sensor ) Are those connections made ?

In the lamp one of the White wires must connect to the Blue ( Neutral ) wire and the other White wire must connect to the Red wire ( Switched Live from the PIR sensor ) Are those connections made ?
What about the yellow wire?

What about the yellow wire?

As mentioned before it is either

(1) an override circuit to allow a switch in the house override the PIR and turn the lamp ON.

(2) a supply to another lamp that is also cpntrolled by the PIR sensor

Put it into a separate ( 5th ) terminal block with nothing else connected to it.

The white wire is in the old pir. So do I have to get a fresh wire from the blue to the red wire ? John

Last edited:
So I have to get a fresh wire from the blue to the red wire ? Johm

NO You must NOT link the Blue to the Red That would be a short circuit connecting Live to Neutral

Did you have a lamp with a built in PIR sensor and now you have a lamp without a PIR ?

If yes then how will you control the new lamp ? If this is a switch then can you take a photograph of the wiring to that switch. Turn power off at the consumer unit before you open up the switch.

ok the old lamp was pir with a switch in the garage and the new one is led with pir,John

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 22.14.13.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 22.14.13.png
    534.2 KB · Views: 439
Is that wire you connected to the bare earth wire green and yellow, or just yellow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back