Outside light / PIR / 4 core cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am trying to replace a very old floodlight which had a separate PIR. My new floodlight has an integrated PIR, hence I am trying to work out cabling...
I have a 4 core cable supply to go into a the floodlight with a terminal block which only houses 3 cables (N, L, Earth)
My 4 core supply is red, blue, yellow and earth.
Assuming yellow is switched live (?) so therefore just connect red, blue and earth, and leave yellow in a terminal block...?
Would this be correct?
Any advice welcomed thanks.

Sponsored Links
Assuming yellow is switched live (?)
You cannot assume anything.

Did you take photos of the connections to the old PIR and light before they were disconnected?

If not, you are going to need a two probe voltage tester, or a multimeter to find out what is what....

Thanks Taylortwocities. Foolishly, no I did not take photos.:mad:
I do remember that the red cable went straight into the PIR (mains red, connected to the red for the PIR via a single terminal block).
Then blue, yellow and earth were all going into a three way terminal block on the light...

So probably, as you assume, the yellow is a switched live from somewhere (is there an over-ride switch?)

If your new light has a pulse over-ride feature then you may not need it.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, don't know about an override switch, but I shall investigate more at the weekend. Thanks for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back