Outside Security Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a number of floodlights with separate pir's and bulkheads ( non pir ). They are all LED's. When the property was originally wired ( pre 2006 ) I had halogen floodlights ( built in pir's ) and standard bulbs in the bulkheads ( non pir's ).

How the system works is that if one of the floods detects movement all the lights come on. In addition I have a switch inside the property which I can turn on so that if required all outside lights come on. Now I have an issue where I need to change the floods as I want to have built in pir's plus one of the bulks need replacing. On the new floods they are pre wired as 3 core but in the incoming cable is 4 core..the extra ''yellow'' cable I guess acts as switched live. When i connect up do i connect the yellow to red...and the incoming feed ''red'' on a block. Also I have noticed when doing some research on the new bulkheads some appear to have a pre wired 2 core cable ..no earth. In that example what happens with the incoming cables...i.e do the earth and live go on a separate block ( in other words not connected to the lights ).

Sponsored Links
Your first problem will be to find integrated flood + PIR lights that give you access to he switched live connection.
Most (especially the cheap ones) do not.
Better,easier to have a stand alone PIR with standard slave floodlights..

thanks..will decide what to do as changing some of the lights may be an issue.

Should have added that I checked today on one of the current bulkheads. The incoming cable having 4 wires are on a connector. The yellow is on the block opposite the live from the unit. The incoming live is on its own. I then did a test on the lamp and got a reading on the red incoming without the lights being on. I then used the switch in the property to turn the lights on . The yellow was then confirmed as being live.

Sponsored Links
I then did a test on the lamp and got a reading on the red incoming without the lights being on. I then used the switch in the property to turn the lights on . The yellow was then confirmed as being live.
Sounds then that the red is the permanent live and the yellow is the over-ride.

So going back to original problem. Once I remove the old light and I'm left with new pre wired 3 core cable "flood" with built in pir. The incoming 4 core cable with the yellow is wired how. If like the bulkhead the incoming red goes on a connector on its own and the yellow connects to the light live. I realize the suggestion is to have separate PIR's but I want to see how it works.. probably not long. Once resolved then it's over to the new bulkhead ( once purchased ) if it only has 2 pre wired . I guess incoming earth on connector and same principal for incoming red/ yellow.

Your first problem will be to find integrated flood + PIR lights that give you access to he switched live connection.
Most (especially the cheap ones) do not.
Better,easier to have a stand alone PIR with standard slave floodlights..

Separate is better anyway, as flood light need to be mounted high to get best cover and PIR's at a much lower level to pick up cross field of view motion.

I find remote control of such lights also useful. I used to have a wireless switch fitted, but recently swapped wireless for wifi, via a Smart Plug. Thus I can turn them on and off speaking to Alexa, or via my Iphone, long before I arrive home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back