External floodlight replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Please excuse this simple question, but I would like to replace an old external floodlight that is controlled with its own integral PIR/ daylight sensor, and is switched inside the house. The casing and PIR are damaged and it is a very old unit that needs to be updated. My issue is that the existing floodlight is supplied by a three core and earth cable and I am not sure how I would connect this cable to a twin core and earth light. The unit that I would like to use as a replacement is supplied with its own twin core and earth cable, daylight sensor and integral PIR. Is it possible to connect the new light with the supplied twin and earth cable and still retain the ability to switch the new floodlight internally or would I have to find a floodlight that is switchable, has a twin core and earth terminal, rather than one that is permanently powered?

Sponsored Links
"The unit that I would like to use as a replacement is supplied with its own twin core and earth cable, daylight sensor and integral PIR."
Post a link to it. Do you have a multimeter to test the supplies on the original cable?

Is it possible to connect the new light with the supplied twin and earth cable and still retain the ability to switch the new floodlight internally
The switch could be used to either have the thing off, or operate via it's built in sensor.

If you want the switch at acts as an override so the light could be on permanently or sensor operated you will need a separate PIR and light.
Or one of the now unobtainable versions where the wiring to the PIR and light are accessible separately.

This is a link to the light fitting that I would like to use and I have used one elsewhere on a different electrical circuit. As you will see, it has no override facility and is supplied with twin core and earth cable.
Are you suggesting "flameport" that it is not possible to purchase an all-in-one fitting that can be controlled by an external switch? I have seen this TimeGuard light that has a terminal block that would appear to have more than just a twin and earth connection capability.

Sponsored Links
Are you suggesting "flameport" that it is not possible to purchase an all-in-one fitting that can be controlled by an external switch?
They probably exist, but most are not like that. It's the cheapo disposable affairs with a short stub of flex attached.

Having the PIR and the light in the same place is typically a fail anyway.
PIRs work best when movement is across the field of view, not directly towards them.
Put the light above what you want to illuminate, and the PIR a couple of meters away to one side or the other.

As the one you would like appears to be out of stock you are probably better off getting the Timeguard one and a separate photo cell and installing it as per the instructions or just having it operated by the current switch without a PIR, which will probably keep your neighbours much happier. lol

Some floodlights have an overide mode so they can be used as a permanent light source

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back