Wiring a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can you wire a external 230 watt floodlight, using a 3 core twin and earth 1.00 mm2 cable to a fused connection box that emanates from my house alarm

Sponsored Links
Hi, can you wire a external 230 watt floodlight, using a 3 core twin and earth 1.00 mm2 cable to a fused connection box that emanates from my house alarm
Do you mean you want the light to come on if the alarm goes off?
Or do you mean that the light is independent of the alarm?

If it is the latter then how is the light controlled - via PIR or a switch on the FCU?

Hi, thanks for the reply, the light is a pir, it's just to wire it in to the supply, certainly not for the alarm to go off. It won't have a switched connection. I have put a photo of the box in my loft below....

Sponsored Links
I cannot see any reason why you could not take a feed from the 230V supply cable to the alarm. i assume the alarm system is on a fuse connection?
Be ware in most cases any newly buried cable will require RCD protection (if not already existing) and not mechanically protected.
There are building regulations concerning he depth of chases within solid walls that require to be complied to, and the cable if buried within walls must be routed in the permitted safe zones.

GEDK's Loft spur for alarm,
PS. Your link does not work, takes me to my images not yours.

Don't know how that happened prenticeboy as I copy and pasted my pic, strange, anyhow, the box is in the loft and the cable will be fed out from the loft to the light, so there won't be any need to bury Cables. Thanks for your reply and advice

The instructions for the light will probably require you to have 3A fuse protection so you need to put the light cable on the load side of the FCU.
Also if the cable is exposed to the elements in anyway I would use rubber insulated cable rather than the standard grey.
Your cable size is correct for the circuit but you could also use 0.75mm² three Core cable like this:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA0dot75R3.html

Thanks guys, you have been most helpful, wired it in today and it seems to be working fine.

What a pity nobody got round to telling you that (in England & Wales, at any rate), a light of more than 150W contravenes the Building Regulations....

What a pity nobody got round to telling you that (in England & Wales, at any rate), a light of more than 150W contravenes the Building Regulations....
Which Building Regulation is that one BAS.

I can only find:
Part 3 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990

Yes - I was doing what I've criticised others for doing. :oops:

How about this:

What a pity nobody got round to telling you that (in England & Wales, at any rate), a light of more than 150W contravenes the guidance on how to comply with the Building Regulations, and basically you don't have a hope in hell that any local authority would regard it as compliant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back