wire floodlight to existing socket

vw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Installing a floodlight with 2*120 lamps outside building. I am going to fit a plug to light and plug it into the socket inside building. Watts = Volts * AMP. 2*120/230 = 1.04amp. so fitting a 3A fuse plug to the floodlight. My questions are:

1. Is this safe to wire floodlight to socket?
2. If so, based on calculation above, is 3A plug OK.

Thanks in advances

Sponsored Links
VW, seems abit 'amateurish', can you not bring a feed from your lighting circuit to a switch then to the lamps?, or eevn FCU from ring to switch to lamps?

It would work, but bear in mind your cable will have to be suitable for the conditions anyway.

Ban will probably have other suggestions

nothing wrong at all. this is a diy forum. use arctic flex

Sponsored Links
Hello Oharaf and Breezer

Thanks for both of you. Your advices are really appreciated.

By the way, if I want to wire floodlight (2*120W = 240W) to socket. Based on my calculation, is this 3A plug OK? Someone said it needs to be 15A for 500W lamp. I really do not want burn the lamp out.

The last question is that if arctic flex cable is OK to run through outside of house (just half meter). The spec of cable is 3 core 1mm2. Is this right?

Thank you so much

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back