PIR outside light for occasional use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I've decided to install an outside floodlight with PIR, but only for occasional use; ie when the property is unoccupied and requires the extra security of external lighting which reacts to movement.

Rather than hard wire the floodlight to the lighting circuit, I've taken the supply cable from the light through the wall, down to a socket in the kitchen, and fitted a plug on the other end so that I can plug in and switch on the light as and when we need it. I'll also be changing the fuse in the plug to a 5 amp before using the light.

Question is, does this occasional setup break any regs?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not the best method of installation, but providing the external cable is supported and suitable for environment and current carry capacity is equal to, or greater than the fuse (5A) it sounds compliant.

If any of the cable/flex is buried within the wall, it would require RCD protection.

It is not the best method of installation, but providing the external cable is supported and suitable for environment and current carry capacity is equal to, or greater than the fuse (5A) it sounds compliant.

If i read it correctly, the cable is not external, anywhere. It comes from the back of the PIR/light straight through the wall.

Sponsored Links
I've taken the supply cable from the light

I am not convinced that they have gone directly from the fitting's enclosure, through the wall, with no externally exposed cable.
Are you?

Very rarely do you come across DIYers, that use fittings or enclosures that allow for this!

For information, about five or six inches of cable are exposed to the elements, looped downwards to shed water and secured with a cable clip before rising and entering the wall.

At no point is the wiring buried under the surface of the inside wall.

I'll take on board the suggestion that I use a 3 amp instead of a 5 amp fuse.

Thanks again.

You will need to use rubber sheathed cable for outside - the grey standard cable doesn't do well when exposed to the elements.
1mm² three core should be okay.

I used the standard cable when I fitted a PIR light on a South facing wall in our last house, and when we moved out it was still working a treat, having lasted over ten years.

But point taken; if it fails I'll replace it with the rubber stuff.

I suppose I could replace the outside bit with rubber sheathed, and connect it inside to save replacing the entire run.
I'll let you know how I get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back