Best Exterior woodwork paint : Sadolin or Zinsser All Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wwyd : Sadolin or Zinsser All Coat .... for barge boards (roof) and exterior south-facing windows, London area. Hoping for lots of views from experts ! Tx, Zena

Sponsored Links
Presumably it's previously painted white ? Zinsser all coat for me. Careful when sanding if an old building as lead paint may have been used. ( and would have been THE choice for longevity back in the 70's;). )

Thanks Nige .... a friend has also suggested Dulux Weathershield .... how would you rank that against Zinsser ?? (House is on estate: 2000 build, so I don't think there's danger of lead in sanding. But it's a useful point to know for the future & maybe for others reading this thread.)

As a professional decorator, I use Dulux Trade Weathershield oil based gloss paints when painting exterior woodwork. Note- there is a massive difference between Dulux and Dulux Trade. The latter is vastly superior but marginally more expensive.

Zinsser Allcoat is a waterbased satin finish. I assume you are asking about the Sadolin Superdec which is another waterbased finish. I haven't used either though.

I prefer the oil based paints because they flow better and with the correct additives they are vastly easier to work with at extremes of temperature. Oil based paints can also be used at lower and higher temperatures. Superdec for example should not be used outside of 25 to 8 degrees and even if you apply it when it is 8 degrees, if the temperature drops below that within 4 or so hours the curing of the paint may be compromised.

Oil paints are also easier to keep clean. If, for example, you get red brick dust on a waterbased satin paint, you will be left with a very, very slight red tint on the woodwork.

Another advantage, assuming that you have a BrushMate box, is that you don't have to worry about washing the brush out at the end of each day.

A major downside of oil based gloss however is that if it rains within two to four hours, the paint may end up with dimples in the finish which are a pain to sand back (given how long OB gloss to cure). Before glossing, I always check my Rain Gauge app. It shows me the forecasted rainfall in 5 minute slots for the next 3 hours.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Opps, invaluable information re Dulux Trade Weathershield AND
the BrushMate box reviews are awesome for time-saving. Which Rain Gauge
app do you use ??

The app is called Rain Gauge but it is only available on Windows (I used to have a Windows 10 Mobile phone), now i just fire up my laptop (which lives in my rucksack).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/rain-gauge/9wzdncrfjj3q?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

It did give the occasional false positive but it was impressively accurate.

I now have an Android and normally use the Accuweather app but that only tells you the probability of rain by the hour.

Re the BrushMate, the Brushmate4 uses a vapour infused pad. In time it dries out, the time depends on where the box is stored and how often it is opened. Brushmate would rather you paid a fiver for a new pad, I just buy the bottles of liquid used in the bigger Brushmate20 and pour some of the liquid onto the pad. A bottle is about £8. At a guess it works out at least 4 or 5 times cheaper than replacing pads.

Very handy tip, Opps, about RainGauge - have just downloaded it - I would guess it's an essential for decorators. Also the tip about Brushmate liquid makes perfect sense ...
tx v. much, Zena

Rain Gauge was released in 2012 by Niels Laute. Although the app still works, his website is no longer active, it seems to be orphaned. It's a shame that he never ported it to Android or iOS.

Not directly relevant (actually not relevant at all) to the thread .... Opps: Just googled Neils Laute - out of interest - after your last post .... looks as if he's gone on to other bigger & better things, + acquired a family ! Zena

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back