best filler for skirting

t45

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best tye of filler to use to fill gaps between skirting? the skirting does not lie flat on the wall and so there is gap along top edges> would an all purpose be best? The walls have been replatered and old skirtin gtaken off and new mdf attached. However there is gaps along the top as the skirting will not stay flat on wall. we hav ebeen recommended terion? aalso what is bets to fill drill hole sin skirting? basically i got a job done on a fixed quote then the price of materials was added and then afterwards hhe said that the gaps needs to be filled along top as he couldnt fix the skirting flat. ...so I have to do it myself as I can't afford for an unforseen job that has been created....is there a process to this filling and do I need a filler gun os something similar?,......many thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the best tye of filler to use to fill gaps between skirting? the skirting does not lie flat on the wall and so there is gap along top edges> would an all purpose be best? The walls have been replatered and old skirtin gtaken off and new mdf attached. However there is gaps along the top as the skirting will not stay flat on wall. we hav ebeen recommended terion? aalso what is bets to fill drill hole sin skirting? basically i got a job done on a fixed quote then the price of materials was added and then afterwards hhe said that the gaps needs to be filled along top as he couldnt fix the skirting flat. ...so I have to do it myself as I can't afford for an unforseen job that has been created....is there a process to this filling and do I need a filler gun os something similar?,......many thanks

Blimey.

I would use acrylic decorator's caulk for the gap betwixt wall and skirting. Use a cartridge gun and a cartridge.

I would use a two-part wood filler for the drill holes.

Cheers
Richard

Thank you Richard, this is really really helpful. would you recommend any particula brand or just a B+Q, Homebase, Screwifx own brand? I have heard of a brand caledl No Nonsennse and Tetrion...would either of these work?
Next time I will just leave old skirting on rather than take off and sprush it up! sand it doen and re-paint etc. I used 2 different trademen for the work - one for the plastering whihc turned out to be a nightmare as the skirting had to be pulled off and the gap between floor and end of wall was much bigger. The plastere made suc a mess o fthe plaster around the door/archiative and this will all have to be -re-addressed. the sceond tradseman i employed for what seemed to be a simple job. It also has turned out ridiculous as I am now left with bits ot pick up and I cant afford to emply and the tradesman to do these little job so i am now have to learn myself. Some of these tradesmen are giving the trade professions a bad name and I know not all are like this.
Thank you for your advice - very useful indeed

Thank you Richard, this is really really helpful. would you recommend any particula brand

I've just used whatever caulk Travis Perkins have on the shelf, but you'll find recommendations if you search the forum. Ronseal make a two-part wood filler that sands well.

Some of these tradesmen are giving the trade professions a bad name and I know not all are like this.

A good plasterer is worth hanging on to, if you find one. I was lucky enough to find two, both in their 60s.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Thank you Richard, this is really useful. Can the Ronseal wood filler be used on MDF skirting though? will it have a good finish and would I need to sand over once it has set?......

Thank you Richard, this is really useful. Can the Ronseal wood filler be used on MDF skirting though? will it have a good finish and would I need to sand over once it has set?......

I don't see why not, and yes you have to sand it.

Cheers
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back