Removed old skirting, now left with gap above and behind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I'm renovating the bedroom in my late Victorian house, but never done much DIY beyond putting up shelves and fitting a nightlatch, but definitively got the enthusiasm and motivation to see a job well done with my own hands. Apologies if the questions seem stupid..

I've pulled off the old and filthy skirting board but now I'm left with a roughly 2-3cm gap behind where the skirting will go. Also, the old skirting was about 17cm high, but the new will be around 14cm high. The old skirting was fitted to vertical timber pieces which were in turn screwed in with plastic plugs to the bricks behind.

1. How do I repair the plasterboard since the new skirting will be shorter? Can I just fill with filler and sand down (if so, what type of filler)? Will it stick or just fall down? What goes under the filler to hold it in place (I've got some expanding foam...)?

On the other side of the room, it looks like the plaster DOES go all the way to the bottom. Not sure, but it looks like it isn't part of the original plasterboard covering the walls.

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Ideally replace with taller skirting, easier to avoid a problem that create one to solve.
Or just plaster using one coat plaster, pva and wet brickwork before applying.

I don't really like very tall skirting and it would look out of place in the room so gonna take your latter advice. Do I just apply the plaster onto the PVA covered wall? Does it need any reinforcement e.g. mesh?

Sponsored Links
No mesh required, the problem you will face is that where the old shirting was plastered down to it will sweep out from the wall wore than likely and you will end up with a ridge along the wall.

The best solution is to use the same size or taller, the Victorians seemed to be all about big skirtings, ornate cornices and covings, fancy nonsense around chandeliers, plaster casts of womens faces at the bottom or arches :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back