filling new skirtings gaps..caulk filler ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just had new skirtings fitted in all 3 beds but as the newly skimmed walls are all over the place there are gaps between the top of the skirtings and the walls in places! should i use pollyfilla using a filling knife to fill at top of skirtings filling the gaps..then sand off/paint the filler or caulk or any other method cheers again :)

Sponsored Links
If the gaps are up to 5mm then caulk will be fine. Try and get a decent bit in and then smooth with a wet finger or damp sponge.
If the gaps are wider than that you can do it in 2 runs, ie squeeze some behind as backing and when dry run apply another bead to finish, as above.
You could try expanding foam if the gaps are really big but it is likely to be messy.
If you plan on staining the wood, remove the caulk from the top edge of the skirting as you smooth it.

yeah the walls in places are all over the place tbh larger than 5mm gaps in several places! ballache..my joiner reckons may need to use polyfilla in the big gaps,but he did say 1st give skirtings a light sand,2 apply a coat of stain,3 apply a coat of varnish(day after stained) 4 using a large/wide filler knife fill the gaps in with the polyfilla smoothing off etc then paint/touch up...is this the correct sequence in which to carry out the staining/varnishing & filling ? + is there anything wrong with just using caulk on the smaller gaps even though will be using polyfiller on the larger gaps as stated ? got some magnolia caulk from wickes other day which is the colour i have used throughout the bedrooms(crown magnolia matt emulsion from b & q) any other suggestions welcome cheers again

If you are varnishing then you can do the filling/caulking afterwards as it will be easier to wipe off the treated surface, as long as its done immediately. Any damage to the plaster from removing/fixing skirting should be repaired with filler.
The best way is to use filler in the bigger gaps, touch up the wall paint and then run a bead of caulk along the whole skirting. Even though you have magnolia caulk you may want to paint it as dirt and dust tends to make it go grubby over time.

Sponsored Links
yeah i will polyfiller the larger gaps loading in behind the skirtings leaving a few mil for the final coat of caulk..then i will paint/touchup the caulk wiping off any excess off the stained/varnished skirting str8 away :) should be ok with it now cheers again mister

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back