Best Finish - Roller or Brush

I wondered about that after...then I scrolled back and saw what had happened,,,I was actually replying to the original thread...someone was painting flush doors...then another person mentioned paneled doors...hence the two different answers.....

So to re cap...

For flush (flat doors) use a short pile mohair or foam rad roller...

For panel doors...cut the mouldings in first with a brush then use a ordinary rad roller sleeve...slightly fluffier.

Always a good idea to rub down betwee coats.

Sponsored Links
For panel doors...cut the mouldings in first with a brush then use a ordinary rad roller sleeve...slightly fluffier.

what do you mean by "rad roller sleeve"? From what i've seen at q&b, you get two types of roller: one to be used for emulsion paints (pretty long pile) and the other to be used for gloss paints (which can be either made of foam or short pile).

I undercoated all the flat parts of my panel doors over the weekend with water based (quick drying) undercoat using the roller for emulsion paints (pretty fluffy) and the result wasn't brilliant (you can see loads of tiny speckles of paint all over the door if looking closely). Did I do something incorrect here?

I'm now planning to sand down briefly and apply top coats of oil based satinwood using the roller designed for gloss paints. Do you think that will hide all the tiny speckles left behind by the undercoat?

thanks
sanjay

Yep it should be ok...those doors normally take three coats..either two undercoats and one top coat or one undercaot and two top coats.

The ordinary rad roller sleeve i was talking about are the ones with a white pelt around them..sometimes they may have a stripe of yellow or blue going through them.

images

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back