Best fixtures to hang pictures on walls nowadays?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I agreed to help my boss's friend (pressure's on) to hang thirteen (oh dear, bad sign) pictures in a new apartment that she'll be moving in.

After tapping the walls, most of them sound very hollow so I'm assuming they're normal cavity boards. The ones on the outer walls don't sound as hollow but they don't sound solid either like a brick wall would so I'm uncertain what to use.

If it was my flat then I'd just drill a hole and see what happens.

If it helps, her flat is in one of the tall expensive skyscraper-type buildings in Canary Wharf so I'm assuming it's a steel structure without bricks or stone. I attach a photo showing the outer wall with the balcony door.

IMG_20221116_162442.jpg

The question is what fixings is best to hang pictures for these sort of walls including the cavity ones? The pictures are various sizes and already have wire attached to them. Those sticky velco-type fixings won't work on her frames.

I normally use spring toggles especially for any heavier ones but worried that she might be shocked because of the size of hole you need to drill for these. I'd also feel embarrassed if it turns out I can use simpler ones. How about those plastic plasterboard plugs that you screw in? What's the norm nowadays as there seems to be so many to choose from.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Knock in picture hooks, especially the ones with two angled pins will carry lighter pictures. You can also double them up for bigger pictures. Just how heavy are her pictures?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah knock in picture hooks look nice and simple, I forgot about them, thanks very much.
I'll have to look up the weight restrictions, I think some pictures will be okay for them.

Here's a photo showing the main picturres, the one at the back is quite big as it also continues behind the tallest picture that you can see.

IMG_20221116_155439.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ah knock in picture hooks look nice and simple, I forgot about them, thanks very much.
I'll have to look up the weight restrictions, I think some pictures will be okay for them.

Here's a photo showing the main picturres, the one at the back is quite big as it also continues behind the tallest picture that you can see.

View attachment 285971
They all look tiny, have never come across a frame so heavy it required drilling the walls.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back