best material for making floorboards level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got some badly fitted pipes under my landing floor, and the floorboards are a bit knackered. I was thinking to replace the floorboards with a few big pieces of plywood (like modern houses), but I want to raise them so they don't push down on the pipes like the current floorboards do (a plumber told me making the pipes lower would not be a trivial job). I'm wondering if I could put several 1mm thick strips of non-compressible material along the joists to raise the level above the pipes, and make sure the plywood lies flat (I might need 3mm on some joists, 1mm on others).

What kind of material would be good for this?

Sponsored Links
cut strips of dpc,might take an age but at least its a cheap material.

Any pics, plumbers can be lazy.
If you put 3mm on some and 1mm on other joists the floor will not go down flat or level.

thanks, I suspect the joists aren't 100% level, so these strips of material would be to level it. Is DPC that damp proofing material? does it compress?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back