Best materials to use on sloping garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken the turf off my garden with a view to slabbing some of it. However, there is a considerable slope and without the skills to build a retaining wall, I am wondering if there's any way of keeping the slope but still tidying up the garden.

I was going to put a circular pattern of slabs on the most level area of the garden, and below that retain some of the soil with a separate level using railway sleepers. In between I was going to use either gravel or cobbles on the slope as well as couple of paths leading into the circle - probably done with small bricks/blocks. Question is, would it be OK to have a gentle slope on a brick/block pathway as opposed to the obvious no-no of a slope using larger slabs?

Sponsored Links
Is it possible to 'snake' a path from the lower levels to the top ? That way you are getting from A to B gradually without the sudden step up for each level.

Do you have room to terrace the slope. In this way you would have several low retaining "walls" rather than one high wall. This is much easier to build - sleepers as you suggest could work or I used large stones and built a series of low walls using just the stones partially dug into the ground. You could incorporate steps into this perhaps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back