Sloped garden - Leveling / creating tiers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, We have a 60ft garden sloping away from the house. Only a small patio at the top is level.

I want to do something to level out 20ft of it near the house and then continue with the slope.

The small retaining wall would need to be appox 400mm in height. I had it in mind to use timber sleepers but would this be the best way or look at blocks / bricks?

Sponsored Links
Thanks, My plan is to retain the patio area, but as the level is too high relative to the back of the house, go down 12-18 inches (some of which will be filled with the patio sub=base - existing is inadequate) and shift the soil further down the garden where the soil is needed. The level area past the patio will have have artificial grass.

My question is, the soil and drainage is pretty poor - clay is not that far down. I plan to install drainage. When I do the levelling our, Should I get shot of any clay or is it fine to use to build up the level further down in the garden?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back