Best method of connecting multiple earth and neutral wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm making some modifications to my central heating and hot water system in a cupboard. The old 'wiring centre' was a single gang plastic pattress box, which was pretty scary and literally crammed full with wires. Conventional wiring centres don't have enough space, so I've put in two 100x100 adaptable boxes next to eachother which gives plenty of knockouts and wiring room to accept flexes from valves, pumps e.t.c. at the bottom, with the T&E from thermostats, programmers boiler e.t.c. coming in the back. I'm trying to do it as neatly as possible, I'd have rather used one large box but there simply isn't enough length on the existing cables, so I opted for smaller boxes with shorter terminations.
I still have 8 flexes I need to terminate: two motorised valves, 2 circulator pumps, a flow switch and 3 thermostats. At the moment, I've connected all the neutrals and earths using large 30a choc blocks, but I'm going to have an extra 5 or so more wires to connect together and I also need to bond the boxes. Is there is a better solution to connecting multiple earths/neutrals in junction boxes? I've considered the 5-way lever wago connector, but I'd need about 3 of these, so maybe one in each box. Any thoughts? Also, do you think another 100x100 adaptable box might be needed for the last few accessories?

Sponsored Links
If not -

Well, You can use both sides of the connectors.

I think it would be preferable to have a row of connectors (not separated) in the middle (vertically) of the boxes with some semblance of order so that they match a diagram as much as possible.

E.g.

512px-S-Plan-Wiring.gif

To answer your actual question -
You can have two blocks linked together.

Also, are your two earth blocks connected to earth and each other?

Plus, the boxes will need to be earthed as well.

Problem is, there's no slack on the existing cables, and there's only a short amount of wire to work with, (the wires aren't long enough to be spaced out in a conventional big wiring centre you see), that's why I'm using two or three smaller boxes. Yes, I have connected the earths in each box with a link, and plan to bond the boxes. I was thinking of using one of these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele.../Schneider Easy9 Earth Kit/d190/sd2901/p11412
screwed to each box, but I ideally need an insulated version for neutral, but can't find anything like that

Sponsored Links
WAGO connectors available in sizes from 2 - 8 ports.

the type that accepts stranded cables is a maximum of 5 ports. However, it says each port can accept a 4mm cable. Would it be feasible to connect two 0.75mm flex cables into each port do you think? It would be very neat for all my neutrals/earths, but not sure if you can do that

With so many connections I would use something like this.
R425443-01.jpg

Din rail mounted terminals can have link bars so no need for any more than one wire in each terminal. Also means plan only has to count from one side even without numbers on them.

Din rail & terminal blocks

you should know that I am working in a 1ftx1ft confined space around a corner on my hands and knees, with various pipes in the way of my head, desperately trying to get this done as quickly and cheaply as possible lol

Din rail mounted terminals can have link bars so no need for any more than one wire in each terminal. Also means plan only has to count from one side even without numbers on them.

this is what I'd ideally like to use, but there just isn't enough space in the cupboard for a huge box, and the cables aren't long enough. I hate my life.

Why ask for suggestions?.
sorry, I'm a little frustrated with this project at the moment, nothing is easy lol. I guess i'm looking for some miracle way of neatly connecting the wires in smaller boxes, rather than a huge box/wiring centre that you won't be able to open cause there's pipes in the way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back