Best option for electric only water heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What are the options available for heating our water, we do not have mains gas, or an oil tank, so electric is our only option, although we do have a couple of open fires.

It needs to feed a bath, 2 basins and the kitchen sink.

It is possible that we may also run a wet CH system too, but not sure yet.

We've looked at flow boilers, unvented water heaters, instantaneous water heaters, and thermal stores, but would really appreciate some experienced advice.

Sponsored Links
Or LPG, or solar, or a heat pump.

If I were you, I'd start by looking at what off-peak tariffs are available. Then decide if you want to use that, i.e. with storage heaters and a tank that's heated during the night, or whether you're prepared to pay "full price" for heating at the time of use.

How much space do you have for a cylinder? How many baths or showers will you use per day?

What do you have currently? How much of it is re-usable?

how do you heat the house? Storage heaters? If so you should be on an Economy 7 or similar tariff with cheap night electricity.

Presumably you have a hot water cylinder. How big is it, and what colour?

Sponsored Links
At the moment we have the 2 open fires, and some old storage heaters no hot water, it's a new project.

I would explore storage heaters and a large cylinder or thermal store.

You may be able to incorporate a multifuel boiler, which will certainly be able to heat a cylinder, and may do some radiators as well, if a big one. It will need quite a lot of fuel if you use wood.

If you are rural you may find a local source.

Storage heaters are a very annoying source of heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back