1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Best paint for internal garage walls

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by CazDIY, 3 May 2021.

1. CazDIY

CazDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello,

I’m looking for tips on how to best paint internal garage breeze block walls on a new build (integral garage).

I’m thinking of brightening it up and using light coloured paint like white/neutrals.

Would ordinary interior matt emulsion paint be suitable?

Or would masonry paint be needed?

Can this be done straightaway or would it be best to wait a year or so after moving in before painting, as the house might be still drying out.

I’ve got a feeling a decorator used ordinary interior matt emulsion on a family member’s garage a few years ago, and primed it in the same way that you’d prime new plaster for painting (dilute first coat with set amount of water). As it was a while ago I can’t fully remember if it was just matt paint or something like masonry paint though. It’s still looking good and has lasted over 10 years so far.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can use matt emulsion but masonry paint will be easier to keep clean and isn't that much more expensive.

4. CazDIY

CazDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you. Would it make a difference being a new build? I believe that matt emulsion would be breathable but not sure if masonry paint could lock in moisture from the build and slow drying out process?

5. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You might consider spraying which ever paint, (I would suggest emulsion) the rough surface of breeze will be difficult to brush or roller to properly cover.

6. CazDIY

CazDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you, good idea.

7. Tigercubrider

Tigercubrider

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did mine years ago with emulsion. A quick go over with a diluted coat first, on a hot day it dries almost as soon as it's on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sponsored Links