Best paint for stairs, landing and main bedroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What would you recommend?

Have used permawhite in the kitchen which seemed good and johnstones endura in one bedroom, which again seemed good.

Fairly high traffic on the stairs. Want the same colour throughout as the bedroom is an attic room which leads straight through from the stairs and landing. Want a matt finish and durable and easy to clean with the little ones about! Will be going on to new plaster skim. Colour wise will be a simple 'parchment' type colour.

Any ideas would be great.

Sponsored Links
You could refer to your other post where you asked the same thing?

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/r...ll-stairs-landing-and-bedroom.428449/#3332774

And am not sure what you are wanting - if you've already tried 2 paints and like them, then why not stick to those?

Sorry. Got so much going on I forgot I already asked!

Last time I asked for advice on paint choice, I got some good suggestions and was hoping for the same. Not sure the endura or permawhite is really suitable?

You mention not using a matt? That would be my preference but I see the point in the marking. What sort of thing would you use?

If you like a matt finish (and who doesn't?), just use it. If you want a really good quality, washable matt, go for Little Greene's Intellimatt.

If you use a cheaper one, it's probably easier to keep a touch up pot handy rather than trying to scrub marks off.

Sponsored Links
If you like a matt finish (and who doesn't?), just use it. If you want a really good quality, washable matt, go for Little Greene's Intellimatt.

If you use a cheaper one, it's probably easier to keep a touch up pot handy rather than trying to scrub marks off.

Thank you. We need around 15 litres I think, so the little Greene is coming out very expensive. Unless there is a trade place any cheaper? Sounds very good though.

Thank you. We need around 15 litres I think, so the little Greene is coming out very expensive. Unless there is a trade place any cheaper? Sounds very good though.

No, you will not get LG paint at any 'trade place'. You can get it online from places like Gowallpaper at £62 for 5 litres inc. VAT. Yes it is approx. 30% more expensive than Dulux Trade matt emulsion, but the coverage is better and the quality generally superior; the cans are much heavier, volume for volume, due to the increased amount of pigment.

For example, I have just decorated the walls of a kitchen, passageway and cloakroom with 5 litres of LG emulsion (that provided two coats); I know it would have taken 6-7 litres of Dulux Trade. In the grand scheme of things, the extra cost is not going to be significant. Especially when you think that the paint will last about 5-10 years before you feel the need to redecorate.

I agree with Emily, pound for pound the LG doesn't work out that expensive. It thins very well and coverage is superior to the major brands. Its washable which means extended maintenance cycles and the pigment is of a far higher quality and density. Compared against Dulux diamond matt (which isn't a true matt finish) its only a few pounds per litre more expensive and the standard Dulux matt though cheaper is not maintainable. I used some customer bought dulux retail last week, out the can it felt too thick to cut a line with ease but it also gave me the impression that any thinning would affect coverage quite significantly, the LG thinned by 10-20 percent flows beautifully off brush and roller.

I always say to my customers get the best you can afford and most are happy to use the LG and those that do love it. Most of the major brands offer 'heritage' paints and washable paints but for me LG beats them all. There may be some "boutique' paints that are better but IMO LG is the best paint commonly available in the UK.

No, you will not get LG paint at any 'trade place'. You can get it online from places like Gowallpaper at £62 for 5 litres inc. VAT. Yes it is approx. 30% more expensive than Dulux Trade matt emulsion, but the coverage is better and the quality generally superior; the cans are much heavier, volume for volume, due to the increased amount of pigment.

For example, I have just decorated the walls of a kitchen, passageway and cloakroom with 5 litres of LG emulsion (that provided two coats); I know it would have taken 6-7 litres of Dulux Trade. In the grand scheme of things, the extra cost is not going to be significant. Especially when you think that the paint will last about 5-10 years before you feel the need to redecorate.

I can see go wall paper sell it, but seems to be £75 for 5 litres? £62 would be much better. I guess I need to work out the amount I need and price it up.

You could ask, i think it can vary from store to store, i get a discount but i buy a lot of it. Thing is superdon consider the longevity and quality of the paint as well as the washability and its not a horrendous price, it will outlast any standard matt emulsion.

I can see go wall paper sell it, but seems to be £75 for 5 litres? £62 would be much better. I guess I need to work out the amount I need and price it up.

http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/little-greene-absolute-matt-emulsion-in-basalt.html

(Select 5 litre tin size from drop down menu)

The £75 is for 5 litres of the intelligent matt (washable), but you only really need that in kitchens and bathrooms (and possibly high traffic hallways, kids, dogs, etc?). Everywhere else, the absolute matt is fine and it is still wipeable. And although there is £13 difference, as I said, in the grand scheme of things, it should not be a deal breaker.

http://www.gowallpaper.co.uk/little-greene-absolute-matt-emulsion-in-basalt.html

The £75 is for 5 litres of the intelligent matt (washable), but you only really need that in kitchens and bathrooms (and possibly high traffic hallways, kids, dogs, etc?). Everywhere else, the absolute matt is fine and it is still wipeable. And although there is £13 difference, as I said, in the grand scheme of things, it should not be a deal breaker.

Ah thanks. Our stairs are quite narrow and fairly high traffic with the two little ones. Is the absolute matt still good enough?

Ah thanks. Our stairs are quite narrow and fairly high traffic with the two little ones. Is the absolute matt still good enough?

Probably, but for the extra £13 I would get the Intellimatt and have done. Unless you live in a stately home or something, 5 litres will usually be enough for the walls of a HSL. Just do it!

Probably, but for the extra £13 I would get the Intellimatt and have done. Unless you live in a stately home or something, 5 litres will usually be enough for the walls of a HSL. Just do it!

Thanks again. Its really hard to judge to amount if paint needed as there's lots of funny shaped walls. Its a medium sized mid terrace with a set of stairs, a small landing, then a small set of stairs, then the double attic bedroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back