Best paint type to resist 'yellowing'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years we've used both gloss & eggshell/satin 'brilliant white' paint on our woodwork, but the eggshell seems to 'yellow' considerably quicker..

granted it's impossible to compare different brands, but we've usually stuck to the same brand (always solvent based) for each round of decoration...

so in general does eggshell/satin tend to yellow quicker than gloss?

Sponsored Links
Ive normally found its the other way around because gloss has more oil in iy than stain/eggshell therefore it sohuld go yellow sooner, however, they are other facters..as you mentioned, the brand...one brand of satin may yellow than another brand of gloss

The othe rfactor is the environment the paint is in...if its normal temperture and light the paint wont yellow very quickly...think about outsides, you rarey see them go yellow

If its warm and dark paint will yellow in a matter of months

Water based alternatives dont yellow

Thanks for that reply zampa..

I've looked around the rooms, and the paint on the windows do seem to have yellowed less than that on the door frames - they obviously get more light..

So is it OK to put a water based satin over a solvent based undercoat (as that is as far as we've got in our hallways) and is it as durable? Also, what do you consider a good make?

cheers

Its not text book stuff but ive done it before without any problems...but give the undercoat a rub down with some 100 grade abrasive paper first for good measure

Brands.....

Crown Dulux or Jonstones IMO

Durability...hmmm the jury still seems to be out on this one (especially on here!!!) i'd say W/B eggshell is more durable than Satin (which tend to be more of a retail paint) I think most painters will say oil based is more durable and I must admit I tend to lean that way, however, it depends on where you intend to use it as well.

Weigh the two up..

Water based:

Pro's...Quick drying, less smell, non yellowing, easy to apply,

Cons...Less working time (you have to be pretty quick or you'l lose the wet edge which can leave a flash mark) softer film than oil based, slightly different painting technique used when applying it, will not stick to existing oil based surfaces without giving them a good rub down (which should always be done anyway)

Oil based:

Pro's...Harder wearing finish, does not need an undercoat if appying over gloss, traditional handskills for applying it...longer wet edge time.

Cons...Strong smell which can linger for a few days, will yellow in time, slow drying,

You will have to make some sort of compromise depending on your situation.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for that reply..it certainly does help.

Given that the areas we are doing at the moment are sometimes quite poorly illuminated (natural light wise) hallways, retaining the 'brightness' is probably the most important factor... so I think a 'try-out ' to see if the paint takes after a sanding might be the way to go..

cheers

You wont be dissapointed..I once did an old peoples home...very dark and very warm hence a big problem with yellowing.

I used a water based gloss...went back a year (to the day) later and there was a chip on a skirting board where someone had hit it with a wheel chair...I touched it up and you could tell the difference betwen the old and the new

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back