Acrylic paint info required for use with resin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I require some info on which brilliant white paint would be best to apply to some plywood that i will be covering with clear epoxy resin.

I've done a few bits using white eggshell water based emulsion, but the white slightly discolours with the epoxy resin.

I was wondering is acrylic white/eggshell any better or any other suggestions?
Spray paint might get expensive for 1.5m2.

Is there a difference between water based emulsion and acrylic, I don't want anything like gloss white white goes very yellow but i'm assuming that's oil based.

Sponsored Links
You seem to have got yourself into a muddle with regards to paint names.

Eggshell is available in either a water (acrylic) base or oil base. The same applies to gloss paints. I have never heard of waterbased eggshell emulsion- do you mean waterbased eggshell or watterbased matt emulsion? There are other types of paints such as shellac based paints and then classes of paint that are usually applied by spray gun.

Oil based paints yellow because of a lack of UV (sun)light, waterbased paints don't. Conversely, AFAIK, epoxy resins yellow as a result of sunlight.

Can you provide more info about what you are trying to paint/protect/make?

It appears i have had a muddle up. Previously i have painted a piece of plywood with 2 coats of white eggshell paint and then covered it in clear epoxy resin (glass cast) for part of a desk project, but more so on one piece the white had slightly changed and got a yellow tinge to it. I'll double check the tin but i really don't think it's oil based from memory as it was nothing like gloss texture which i wouldn't of used. I've used the same white on my bathroom architrave and it's not changed colour in years.

I contacted the epoxy company to ask if it would react and discolour the white paint and they said it shouldn't be be wouldn't ever use emulsion as theres much better paints to use than that. So thats where my mix up came from thinking eggshell and emulsion were in the same class.

I did though think that acrylic was something other than just water based.

So what i was trying to achieve is finding a white paint that will keep it's colour once the resin is applied over it. I'm really not sure why this is happening but they said it shouldn't react.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back