Best Paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question people,

I am just wondering which is the best paint to buy?

Thanks people!! :)

Sponsored Links
Depends on your budget really

You can spend up to 80 quid for a tin of emulsion if you want.

We all have our own preferences on here, and some companies have some products that are better than others..for instance, IMO Dulux masonry is really poor at covering, skins up easy and splashes everywhere..I prefer Crown stronghold or Johnstones storm shield..on the other hand IMO crown gloss has a grey tinge to it whereas dulux is nice and bright..

And as for Leyland... :rolleyes:

The list of comparisons is endlessand a lot of us judge a paint on our own hands skills, techniques and the job at the time.

So my advice whould be stick to brand names, go for trade paint instead of retail and avoid 'value' emulsions Aldis/Lidls/b&q/poundshop stuff...yeh it might only be £2.99 for 5 litres and fine if you like painting so much you dont mind doing it five times instead of two.

Oh and dont bother with the poncy paints like Laura Ashley..its really nothing special at all.

Sponsored Links
I used to think that 'Dulux Gloss Once' was really poor and pointless compared to the ordinary Dulux Gloss paint. I used to spend £2 extra for 'Dulux Gloss Once' and thought, this is no different to the ordinary stuff! However, it's more for painting horizontal surfaces because you have to apply more paint so it would be more likely to drip painting a vertical surface. However, I've found that it doesn't tend to drip in the same way as the ordinary stuff so I think it's worth the extra £2.

So really what I'm saying, there are all types of paint and some work better than others all depending on the job inhand. Just experiment ;). Also, I agree that the paints from Lidl kinda suck. I bought some acrylic and it was really streaky. Maybe it's supposed to be like that though, I don't know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back