Sandtex textured masonary paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. Im going to paint the back of my house (if it ever stops raining) with Sandtex textured masonary paint and was wondering is it best to use a brush or can a roller also be used?
Im not really sure if a roller would get the best result, does the textured paint work well with a roller.
If a roller is the way to go what size/type should i be looking at buying?

Thanks in advance people.

Sponsored Links
You can use both, are you speaking of smooth render or roughcast/dashing and is it pre-painted.

Dec

Hi thanks for reply.
Its smooth render, well smoothish! Thats why ive gone for the textured try to hide the imperfections a little hopefuly.
Ive used a fungicide wash on the walls just need to wash that off latter and give the walls a final clean.
Its prepainted the paint seems quite sound not chaulky but will i need a stabaliser as ive used the fungicide, not 100% sure but guessed i would be ok without?
Didnt know if the roller would work well with the textred paint ill pop into the merchants later and see what rollers the advise.
Thanks

Providing that the existing paintwork is sound you won't need a stabliser, you can use a 3" brush for cutting in and a medium pile roller, you can also ease the paint with approx 5% water if you wish.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, problem is can't do anything until this rains stops its been two days solid now with what looks like another one to follow!
When you say ease the paint i presume your talking about thinning it out with water? Whats the advantage of this and should i do this on only the first coat?
Sorry for all the questions your help is appreciated.

You dont have to thin your paint yet doing so helps the paint to flow better and offers more coverage, you can do this with both your first and subsequent coats.

Dec

Thanks for all your help so far. One last question, i've checked again and some of the paint does seem powdery in places (if i rub my hand along it it has a chalk like dust left on it). I will buy a stabaliser for this, does the stabaliser also prevent stains from coming through and if i stabalise all the wall, even the bits that seem sound will this cause problems?
Thanks.

Well you should apply a stabilising solution to any chalky/powdery areas and if you were to apply it to the entire wall it would help to block any staining, yet it is unwise to apply it over a sound surface. This will offer a shiny surface and your paint will often not form a bond with the underlying substrate.

Dec

Thanks for all your useful advice much appreciated.
I'll apply the stabaliser to the affected areas only and the few small stain patches.
Thanks once again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back