painting textured artex celing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a textured artex celing and coving which is already painted in some sort of shiny white paint (i'm guessing it's vinyl silk) as the light really reflects off it. I wish to repaint both the celing and coving.

I want more of a dulled look so thought I may go for vinyl matt or vinyl satin. Can I simply roller a coat of (one of) these ontop of the existing glossy finish or will I need to do some prep work (sanding etc.). I think it would be difficult to sand the textured celing because of the textured artex.

Also it's not clear to me whether the existing paint is oil or water based. Is there an easy way to test this. I assume i'll have problems if I attempt to paint using a water based paint if the existing coat is oil based?

thanks
sanjay

Sponsored Links
Most likely Silk emulsion. Cant imagine anyone 'glossing' an artex ceiling unless, in a kitchen etc. (still not recomended). Just clean off the cove with a sponge/ sugar soap. You might notice a fine dust on the arte. I usually just dust off with a large damp sponge. Its no problem to just go over the silk finish with matt emulsion. My usual way is two coats on the cove and one coat on the artex. But. make sure if giving one coat to ( silk)artex that you dont get any missed area's as the silk base will show up against the new matt coat. NO sanding required;)
Have fun.

There is a paint called ''One Coat''which I've used and it did what it said on the tin.

The method already mentioned by the previous poster is adequate although past experience makes me paint everything twice.

Painting ceilings takes no time at all when you get your elbow grease into it............! ;)

:D :cool: :D :cool: :D

thanks guys :). I'll probably just go with 2 coats of matt emulsion which should be easy given that the walls are also white matt emulsion.

sanjay

Sponsored Links
Can you go for a pale colour instead of white..it helps cover up a bad surface

I will probably go for white on the celing and coving because the whole house is white. The condition of the celing/coving is pretty good really so I don't need to hide any imperfections (+ you wouldn't notice them on the textured celing anyway).

I may change the colour of the walls in the near future to a pale colour if it helps to hide the imperfections (although the wife, being european, likes the bland white look :cry: ). When you say pale, do you basically mean an 'off white' colour?

cheers
sanjay

Another question, do you recommend medium pile roller for walls and long pile roller for textured celings (to get into the grooves)?

I see screwfix do some Harris sleeves (medium and long pile)? are they considered any good in the trade?

thanks
sanjay

Yep I meant a pale colour...medium pile should be fine for artex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back