Textured paint or Artex?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering if there was anyone with experience of telling the difference between Artex and textured paint?

When striping the ceiling the yellow textured coat under the was quite hard to get off, if I used the steamer on it it'd be quite rubbery, but a little easier to remove. It was very thin, perhaps 2mm max, more like 1mm.

The white top layer which I think is blown vinyl came off quite brittle and sharp in good sizes. It didn’t require any steaming really, peeled off really nicely. It’s then the yellow layer.

That came off quite like vinyl, sticky and tough to scrape, had to steam it a lot.

Please see photos and let me know your thoughts

many thanks in advance
B635783B-F935-45B5-97AD-82BB4E542224.jpeg
DF5B8756-1C04-4560-94D4-981E97DAA439.jpeg
72FBA27F-0CC1-4BDF-8B41-D63F7C97856A.jpeg

Sponsored Links
As half of it is on the floor now, why does it matter?

I'm presuming this is an asbestos question? If so - after a number of back-and-forth posts - you ought to settle on the inevitability of having to have it tested.
Otherwise, it is all just flipping a coin.

How old is the house?

It looks to me like a lime plaster ceiling, so the oldest coatings were probably whitewash or distemper, and need to be cleaned away before you redecorate.

It is a lot less cracked than usual, though.

It looks like a lot of yours will scrape off dry, but the glue in distemper dissolves in very hot water, but resists cold.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The house is 1900.
Yes, my main concern is the yellow textured layer and whether it is artex. It's a very thin layer of so, I had no idea about the possible asbestos content.

I mean what's done is done and I've cleaned up, so I'm just trying to gauge some professional opinions from sight. The photos aren't great either unfortunately, but it's all I've had as I took them half way through the job and have since plastered over them

All the best

Sponsored Links
The yellow layer just looks like a thick old water paint to me, with a lot of ground chalk in it. Are you sure it isn't painted paper? See if it breaks down in cold water, boiling water, or vinegar

I think Artex arrived in the 1970's, so the oldest paint will be whitewash or distemper.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. It could quite possibly be textured paint. It came off almost like gloss paint. Quite plasticky

Paper then polytex over white wash.
That's polytex your asking about. Rolled on.
I sand white wash off (distemper) you can wash white wash off back to plaster then coat ceiling in gardz.
Fill and make good if ceiling is ok.
Polytex never contained asbestos I was told.
No artex on that ceiling

Paper then polytex over white wash.
That's polytex your asking about. Rolled on.
I sand white wash off (distemper) you can wash white wash off back to plaster then coat ceiling in gardz.
Fill and make good if ceiling is ok.
Polytex never contained asbestos I was told.
No artex on that ceiling
Thanks mate. Much appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back