Painting over wallpaper and artex. Prep and tools.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just preping to paint over a wall with artex and in the front room which has lining paper/wall paper.

I am not sanding the artex for obvious reasons. I just wondered if there was a preferred roller for paining over textured plaster. It is only a light texture, light swirls. I am using the most durable matt paint my research has thrown up which seems to be Johnstones durable matt.

Also, is there any major difference between the advanced tech durable matt and the ecological durable matt?

Furthermore, any specific prep for painting onto lining/wall paper? Any specific roller for a smooth surface?

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Is the artex unfinished i.e not painted?
I generally use a thin mix first on bare Artex, say approx add 10% water and stir throughly. With regard to rollers I would go for a medium pile roller the short pile leave tracks, medium pile is forgiving, even on rough walls and holds a nice amount of paint for smooth walls.

unpainted lining paper can be painted normally, no need to prime it or anything like that. Re the wallpaper it depends what type of wallpaper you are painting? is it a vinyl wallpaper, a paper wallpaper, a lightly texture blown vinyl?

Re the differences in paints, I think its an exercise in splitting hairs, a lot of the names of these paints are just for the sales pitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back