Artex over old wood chip paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

my parents bedroom has wood chip paper on the ceiling that's been painted many times, been up over 20 years at least. After all mishap in the loft a crack appeared on the ceiling and this was fixed and plastered but the ceiling was not stripped of the wallpaper. There's now 2 large patches of bare plaster in a wood chip ceiling that is not going to look good when painted due to the different textures, especially as it's pretty much over the bed. It'll be seen before sleep and after waking up.

I've read that artex can be applied to painted surfaces but not over wallpaper. When I did textured finishes at college part of my final assessment was a decorative patch of artex on lining paper, the tutors loved it so I assumed you can artex wallpaper. Sorry for the rambling but with the wood chip being so old and painted so many times, would artexing over the top not be possible? What kind of defects can occur and how likely are they? My parents don't have the money to skim the whole ceiling, I don't have those skills but I can artex so I said I'd look into it. The only other option is to paper the entire ceiling with another wood chip or anaglypta of some sort. Genuinely worried that trying to strip the ceiling would damage the patches of plaster.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you can artex, would you consider boarding over the whole ceiling with plasterboard, scrim the joints and artex over it all?

Or plasterboard and joint fill the joints and screw heads.

Or strip the paper/plasterboard over and get a plasterer in to skim, and call it an early Xmas present?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back