which masonry paint is best over cracks (ed.)

5 Jan 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom

I have a rendered wall and the previous owner has tried to repair cracks in the render but didn't quite get the texture right so the repairs stand out like a sore thumb. The render has an orange-peel rough-ish texture but the repair is smooth (see photo).

I'm wanting to paint over the crack again but want to get the texture to be the same as the rest of the wall - is it the type of paint I use or the roller that creates the desired texture on the wall?

I'm thinking of using either Bedec extra-flex elastomeric masonry paint or Johnstone's Stormshield Textured Masonry paint. Which one (if any) would give me the texture? I think I'd need a roller with a long nap?

Hope people can help - thanks in advance.


  • rendering.jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 250
Sponsored Links
first off you want to sand back the filled surface so its less noticeable, then you need to dig out the crack a little wider and fill with a flexible external filler so it wont came back again in a few weeks time.

regards to roller, yes you'll want a long nap, the bedec will be a good paint.
thanks sxturbo - is it the roller or the paint which gives the right texture? will coarse sand-paper do the job or will I need something harder like a stiff wire brush? Lastly, what external filler would you recommend?
Many thanks for your time. :)
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local