Sandtex over cheaper paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the boss decided the house needs to be painted. It has a really rough cast render which'll need 2 coats to really cover it (that's the house, not the boss). The trouble is the rough render seems to use up a LOT of paint. I did a test this morning and used up 2 10L pots on what is quite a small section :( I reckon I'll need 24 tins or thereabouts at this rate. Applying with a shaggy roller then spending ages dabbing with a brush to fill the holes.......

Now, she has selected a Sandtex colour which I cant get in any other make except Sandtex, so I was wondering is a cheaper exterior masonry white could be used for the first coat eg Leyland Granocryl with the chosen Sandtex colour on top.

Sponsored Links
I've done this with no problems. Was given a load of Granocryl from a builder friend and I used it to first coat an outside and finished it with two coats of sandtex, still looks good three years on.

you used two coats on TOP? I won't have saved anything then! I'll give one coat of each a try

Sponsored Links
It was in a hell of a state, it was going in white so needed three for full opacity. Cut in twice, rolled three times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back